thirteen

Maude

It's been a rough weekend to say the least. Somehow a weekend that was supposed to be about me and visiting Maude to see how her time in law school has been turned into a Lance weekend. He chose this weekend to announce that he's planning on proposing to his girlfriend, Raegan, who he's cheating on.

At least I have Spencer, who's always on my side. My mom is usually on my side too, not afraid to tell my dad off for being a dickhead, but sometimes I can't get past the fact that she stays married to him despite everything he's done. He's cheated and been an all around shitty guy, but she never leaves him. I could never stay in a relationship like that.

Thankfully it's their last night here, since they all have to drive home tonight to be back for school and work tomorrow morning. One last overpriced dinner before I have my freedom back. I've been suffocated by the Sterling family and can't wait to breathe again.

Everyone in the family who's in the area is at this dinner, including cousins. Spencer and I keep to ourselves at the end of the table, talking about our interests and things everyone else wouldn't care about. We know everyone thinks the two of us are weird, but we couldn't give a fuck. I couldn't be prouder of my baby brother for choosing not to go down the treacherous path that is law school. It would change him too much, and he's always been the sweetest kid.

We've also been secretly doing shots from a tiny bottle of tequila I snuck in my purse, just to make this night a little more bearable.

What sucks is that I've been completely isolated from my actual life here. I've barely had time to check my phone, let alone see anyone other than my family. And Harry has been pretty much radio silent, but I don't blame him since I would avoid my family like the plague too if it were an option.

It's a little disappointing though, I can't lie. He said he would be there for me if I needed him this weekend, but he hasn't been. I can't help but feel like he was just saying that because he had to, but that he really just doesn't like the fact that my family is who they are. Hopefully tonight he answers my text, but I know the chances of me going to his place are slim to none since he most likely has work in the morning and my family isn't leaving until late.

But I push him from my mind for now, just wanting to focus on getting through this dinner.

Taking another sip from my wine glass, I watch as Lance and my cousin have a conversation about politics. My eyes roll slightly, knowing pretty much everyone in this family is crooked. The feeling of my mom playing with my hair takes my attention away from trying to murder Lance with my eyes from across the table.

I smile at her, leaning into her side a bit more. She's always been so affectionate to us, so I don't know how Lance turned out the way he did. "How are you darling? How's school?"

"School's great actually. I love all my professors and I've got a really good group of friends too." I explain, and she raises her eyebrows, obviously happy I'm doing well.

"That's fantastic Maude! You've always been such a sweet girl, I knew you would do well. And how's Cassidy doing?"

"Thank you mom. And Cass is doing great. She's up with Noah to give us some more privacy, but she definitely wanted me to tell you and Spence she misses you guys." Mom laughs at that, knowing very well nobody likes Lance and dad.

"You tell her we miss her too. And any boys?" She pries, making me roll my eyes and shake my head.

The real answer is yes. Harry is in the picture now, but my mom actually has a moral compass and would probably strangle me for sleeping with my professor. She would probably think that I'm being like Lance and doing anything to get ahead, and I wouldn't blame her because that's exactly what Lance wants me to do. "No boys. Well- Not like dating, but you know, casual dates here and there, nothing serious or long term." More like hookups.