Black Hearted: Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

He shook his head and gripped the railing. "Gave George the night off."

"Then call a cab." Solana jammed her key in the lock.

"Please." The lock clicked open, and she froze. His voice was so quiet she could almost convince herself she hadn't heard him. "Please let me in."

The second plea was laced with a sincerity she couldn't ignore. Solana stared at the ceiling for a heartbeat and cursed the caring gene she'd inherited from her abuela. Why couldn't she be more like her mother?

"I'm so going to regret this." She dropped the key in her purse, spun around, and held out her hand. "Move."

Jack struggled to stand, his legs seeming to have forgotten how to work. She slipped an arm under his to help him up, her nose bumping against an undone button on his crisp white shirt. A woodsy scent mixed with stale alcohol assaulted her, and she admonished her insides for jumping to life.

He leaned on her, and his chest expanded again. "You smell so good."

"I smell like burgers and fries."

"No." Jack squished his nose. "I mean yes. But underneath that. You smell like sunshine."

"What does that even mean? What does sunshine smell like?" She dragged him across the worn boards of the porch, adjusting his hefty arm on her shoulder.

His chin brushed her forehead. "Warmth, clean, life."

She didn't know how to respond to that. "Well, you smell pretty awful. Did you spend your night at a distillery sampling every bottle?"

"Nope." Jack hiccupped. "Tried the club. No luck."

Solana didn't want to know what that meant, but curiosity always got the better of her. "Club?"

"Cloud Nine."

Disappointment swelled in her stomach. She'd interviewed once to work at the exclusive gentleman's club, shocked when she found out the place was essentially a high-class mix of brothel and strip joint. The hiring manager had asked her to take off her top so he could assess her breasts, informing her Tuesday's and Thursdays were topless for the staff. She hadn't waited to be rejected, tore up her application and stormed out of the place.

"Of course you go there." Solana slowly pulled open the door, trying to mitigate the squeak that might wake her abuela.

Solana eased Jack down onto the couch. As soon as she released him, his head lolled back. What was she going to do with him? He couldn't stay here. She had to sober him up so she could get rid of him. "I'll get you some water."

In the kitchen she poured a glass of water and downed it herself. Refill in hand, she returned to the living room to find Jack standing by the fireplace, jacket off and undoing the rest of the buttons on his shirt.

"What are you doing?" Solana put the glass on the table and clutched the lapels of his shirt. "You can't undress in my abuela's good room."

Her fingers fumbled as she attempted to thread the tiny buttons of the shirt through their loopholes. She avoided looking at the warm skin her fingers brushed against, pushed down the swell forming in her lower region. Solana had a sudden burst of envy for the long-sleeved fine cotton shirt that hugged his broad shoulders and muscular chest. When he adjusted his tie, his shirt tightened around well-defined biceps and she bit her tongue to suppress a moan. Being this close to him was dangerous.

His hot breath tickled her neck. "But I'm so hot." Her skin burned where Jack's finger slid down her cheek, finding its way under her chin, a slight pressure asking her to face him. Resistance was futile.

Hand cupping her face, his thumb traced her lip like it had in the restaurant that day after Abraham punched him. A similar hum of electricity pulsated in her chest and it rose and fell faster. Her gaze rose to his eye, then down to his mouth.

The corner of his lips curled. "You're so beautiful."

His false words broke the spell. Solana knew the kind of women Jack hung around with, had spent far too much time scrolling through photo after photo of him and his ex-wife.

She moved to step away, create distance before this got out of hand. "Hardly."

Jack raised his other hand as both dove into her hair, holding her in place. "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever known."

Despite the sincerity in his voice, she laughed. "I've seen your ex-wife, buddy. She's the epitome of beautiful." In each shot, she was perfection, not a hair out of place. As tall as Jack, with a figure half super model half porn star, she was stunning. There was no way a man who'd been married to a woman like that found Solana appealing.

Jack closed his eyes, and ice poured on the heat pooling inside her. Was he thinking about his stunning ex-wife while holding her? The urge to flee built inside her, her feet twisting to run.

"Ali is a classic beauty, it's true." His eyes popped open and pinned Solana to the spot with their intensity. "But she doesn't have your spirit. Your heart. Your soul."