Chapter 3

Killer's POV~

The same old things endlessly on repeat. Cycling through second to minute to day to year. Never changing, and never anything new.

"Hey Killer! Lend me a hand would ya!" Kidd roars from the engine room. Sighing, I sit up from my position on the couch and make my way towards the fiery redhead. As I enter the room, I see him under the hood of a car, tinkering away at the wires.

"Did you need something Kidd?" I look around the work space. Various bolts and tools littered the floors while black soot painted the walls and Kidds clothes.

"Yeah. Start up the car. I wanna check something." Kidd doesn't look up from his work, a puzzled expression consuming his face.

I walk over to the driver side and open the door. Kidd throws me the keys as I hop in and turn the ignition. The car churns, then turns off. I look to Kidd. He nods to signify, try again. I turn the ignition again and the car coughs. Then slowly,
the car sounds normal and starts purring.

"Haha! Nice work Killer! Now all I gotta do is....." Kidd starts mumbling to himself, tinkering away with different aspects of the car. Taking that as my queue to leave, I walk back into the air conditioned room, going past and stepping into the bathroom in my room.

I stare at my reflection.

Dull and droopy eyes staring back at me.

How boring.

Tangled hair covered most of my face. The bottom spouting split ends at every curl. A color so bland, stale bread couldn't even compare. Pale dry skin. Porous and rigid. Lips chapped and breaking. Eyes hollow. There was no spark left. There was nothing I liked about myself. Nothing attractive. Nothing captivating. Nothing but an empty shell of a man, born to rot in this world. Same old same old. I sigh and take a shower.

After my shower I get ready to head out. Kidd is now on the couch, watching who knows what.

"If you're heading out Killer, bring home booze." Kidd yells, not needing to look to know what I was gonna do. He grumbles feeling my stare. "Please". He sulks at that.

I nod his way before heading out. The sun pelts my face. The wind like razors blowing past my hair. The air so thick, it's almost suffocating. I walk down the side walk in a random direction. Eyes searching for anything to escape myself. This endlessly dull and boring self.

People move out of my way like they'll get the plague by being in my close proximity. Dirty looks from on goers. People disgusted at the likes of me. Same old. I sigh.

Grey skies hover over. Even the skies are gloomy today. I make my way to the nearest gas station for Kidd. Then, it happened. From the corners of my eye I glimpse something bright. Something...new? I turn my head not, expecting much. Must have been a glimmer, or a reflection on someone's car.

I stop in my tracks.

I can feel my heart beat slower, or did it skip? My head is clear. No thoughts, nothing running through, for the first time it's empty. Am I speechless? All I can do is stare, the world spins around me but I remain unmoving. The air is suddenly breathable. And I grasp for air. Something I so desperately needed. Anything to escape my head. Like a drug so addictive, even looking away would cause me to spiral into withdrawal symptoms. Like a disease eating away at me until it consumed me whole; and there was no cure.

"Beautiful".

People glimpse at me with weird faces. Did I say that aloud? Was I dreaming, or was this reality? Bright colorful (you eye color) eyes. Light reflects off of them in every which way, emitting a rainbow. Hair glowing in the wind, creating ripples of stars. Skin so dazzling and smooth. Lips like cherries. Everything about them is beautiful. I can hear their laughter from here. Like a melody I never wanna stop listening to.