x20. War of hearts

Start from the beginning

Ericeless state.

Loveless state.

Eleanorless state.

She wasn't herself anymore.

Four stripped her out of everything she allegedly was tonight.

Something must be coming for her.
Whatever it was, she didn't mind anymore.
She closed her eyes, trying to recall every bit of Eric's existence in her life.
It was the only thing she yearned for.

***

It's been a while.
Notions wandered through her mind, mostly resemblances of Eric, but one very frequently reappeared in her mind.
The image of him glancing at her for the first time when she freaked out and panicked.
It constantly haunted her, as if it wanted to remind her of his presence in her lifetime.

At some points during her few short and intermittent naps, she wanted to let it all go, but it kept coming back.
The final time it arose, how many hours after everything happened, only God knew, it freaked her out and she startled, opening her eyes and gasping for air.

"Shit.", she uttered a curse, clutching her head and waiting for her heart to de-stress, now realizing that she needs to prevent the panic attack.
She never had those before, but she know what they were.
And her rapid breathing signalized that she was at the beginning of one.
No surprise, after all, she has been through a lot and her organism was trying to deal with it on its way.

"I thought Erudites do not swear.", she heard Four's distant voice coming from somewhere around her.

It was not something she anticipated, but again, it was very logical. After all, he, Tris, and their iconic love stirred up the regiment.

"The thing is, I'm not Erudite anymore.", she was quick to retort, lowering her head comfortably back to the fence. Her breathtaking was getting back in order slowly, as distractions were always welcome around panic attacks. "You made us forget all about our past factions. Remember?"

"You are a good learner, Ellie

"You are a good learner, Ellie.", he snickered, unlocking the threshold.

"I prefer to be killed in here, if possible.", she acknowledged, not making a single move to protect herself. She saw that he held up the firearm and still somehow hoped to go through it without being publicly humiliated moreover.
And after all, she had done to save Tris's ass, she had the right to at least decide how to die.

"Let me make peace with myself alone.", she looked away disinterestedly, as he walked into the enclosure and stood in front of her, with a small smirk on his face.

It still reminded her of what he did to Eric.
It was still very fresh.

He stood like that above his head.
And she recalled that image still very vividly.

C'mon, mate, let's get it over with, she thought to herself.

Maybe peace was really on the other side.
Maybe not.
Maybe there was no actual peace without him.