Chapter 15

We were back in our suite after that breakfast fiasco. Johnny was pacing in front of where I was sitting on the couch in the living room. "Can you please sit down? You making my head spin." I ask.

He sighs before sitting next to me. "I know this isn't ideal but is it really that horrifying, the thought of being married to me?" I ask quietly.

"It's not that. I just didn't know if I ever wanted to get married."

"Oh," I say, looking down at my hands in my lap.

"I mean you never mention it so I didn't think it was that big of a deal to you either."

"Ok, well now we have to mention it. We've been together for a year now. What do you want to do?"

"I don't know. What do you want to do?"

"I know what I want Johnny but I'm not going to force you into anything. I've always wanted a husband and kids, eventually, but I can't force you to want those things if you don't."

"Can I have some time to think about it?"

"Yeah. There's a ninety day window after you're married to get an annulment. After that the process becomes a little more difficult with divorce lawyers and court complications. It'd be better if you decided before that."

He nods and I walk out, giving him time to think.

...
*1 year later

Within a week of us getting back from Vegas I came home to our room at the Baxter Building to find Johnny's things missing and the papers for an annulment left for me to sign, a sticky note on top with an apology written on it.

So I signed and packed my stuff and left the city, moved upstate and did my best to forget about New York City and stupid, immature flame boy.

The biggest shock came a month after I left. I didn't know it at the time my world came crashing down but I had gotten more than just an ex-husband out of that Vegas trip. I now had a beautiful baby girl, Juliette. Only Sue and Reed knew about her and I had sworn them to secrecy.

I hadn't been back to Manhattan since I left but unfortunately, I couldn't stay gone. Reed and Sue were finally getting married and she had begged me to be her maid of honor. I couldn't say no so here I was, driving back to New York with a three month old in the back seat.

Justice was sleeping soundly in her car seat and we passed the ride without any meltdowns, from either of us. I pulled up to the Baxter Building that night and got Juliette in her car seat out from the back, prepared to get the rest of our things once I got her settled upstairs.

"Miss Richards, it's great to see you again! It's been too long." Jimmy greets me once I'm inside.

I smile at him. "It's good to see you too Jimmy." I whisper so I don't wake up the baby.

"Let me get the elevator for you."

"Thank you." I say as he hits the button for the private elevator that'll take me up to the living quarters.

The doors open up at the top floor and I'm shocked by how much things had changed in the year I've been gone. I jumped a little when a woman appeared out of nowhere behind the reception desk. "How can I help you?" She asks.

"I'm here to see Reed and Sue."

"I'll let Miss Storm know you're here." She says with a slightly robotic voice. I bend down and put the car seat on the ground before unhooking Juliette and get her out, bouncing her a little when she starts fussing.

"Oh my gosh! Hi! It's been way too long." Sue squeals quietly when she enters. We do our best to hug around the baby. Juliette slowly opens her eyes, blinking at the sudden change of scenery. "It's amazing how much she looks like him, isn't it?" Sue asks, taking in Juliette's eyes, which are the exact same color and shape as Johnny's.

"Yeah. A blessing and a curse." I say, looking at my daughter sadly.

"Well let's go get the rest of your things and get you settled and then we can catch up."

...

A little while later we've got Juliette set up in her pack and play, occupied with her feet while we sit in the couch, talking.

"So how've you been?" Sue asks.

"I've been ok. Not too much time to dwell on the past with a baby who needs constant care."

"I just want to say you're doing amazing."

"I feel like and look like crap. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in four months, or a decent shower in that time either."

"Well as far as that second complaint goes, go and use mine. I'll watch Juliette." I looked kind of reluctant, so she pushed me to the bathroom and grabbed me some towels. "Just use my stuff on the shelf." I smile in thanks before turning on the water to the hottest setting, reveling in the feeling it gives my powers.

I hadn't used my powers on purpose in a year. With the exception of some accidental "flare ups" while pregnancy hormones raged, I had taken a step back from that. It reminded me too much of Johnny.

I got out of the shower feeling a thousand times better than I did when I got in. I chuckled when I noticed that Sue snuck in and left my bag with my clothes for me to change into. I threw on a pair of yoga pants and a loose top, letting my hair down to dry before joining Sue back in the living room where she was busy playing with Juliette.

"Maybe you should consider moving back here. You would have family around to help." Sue pleaded. "Plus I want to be able to see my niece whenever I want." I laughed at that.

"Oh yes. Can't forget that. I don't know though. Let's see how this weekend goes. I'm sure he won't be pleased with these developments."

"Can we talk about it finally?"

"What's there to talk about? He wasn't sure what he wanted. I gave him the option of an annulment and he took it. But instead of talking about it like adults, he did it while I was out and hid until I left."

"So he doesn't know about..." she looks over at Juliette.

"Not unless you or Reed told him."

"Miss Storm, there is someone coming up the elevator." Roberta informed us. I jumped again at the sudden intrusion.

"I'll never get used to that," I say as I grab Juliette and followed Sue to the main lobby area.

"Hello?" Sue asks as we come around the corner. We see three military officers. "Thanks Roberta," she says, dismissing the hologram.

"Oh joy," I sat under my breath, recognizing the man leading the group. She gives me a questioning look. I just shake my head, "I'll tell you later."

"May I help you?" Sue asks.

"We're here to see Dr. Richards."

"I'm right here General." I say, coming out from the shadows. He grunts.

"Not you. Your brother."

"He isn't here right now. Is there anything I can help you with?" Sue asks.

"Yes, you can take me to see Dr. Richards."

"Ok." She says shortly and I grab Justice's car seat, placing her in it and grabbing her diaper bag before following them.

It looked like Johnny was going to meet his daughter sooner rather than later.

🔥🔥🔥

So we're now into Silver Surfer timeline. Please don't hate me. There's a method to my madness and I swear Jacqueline isn't suffering.