Epilogue

London, England
June 14, 1819

Rain moved across the ballroom, intent on saving her husband, who appeared to have been beset by her entire family. They were all in London for the Season, and while they visited each other frequently throughout the year, it was the one time they could be certain to all be in the same place at the same time. Though there had been discussions of planning an annual, or twice-annual gathering when they'd all get together. She rather liked the idea.

Seeing her approach, Marcus nodded towards her. His ability to mask his emotions would probably never leave him, but the more time she spent with him, the more she learned to see the small signs that gave him away. The slight tightening of his lips as he fought the urge to escape her noisy family, for example. As she reached the group, he wrapped an arm around her waist and bent his head to place a kiss at her temple.

"Save me," he whispered, making her giggle.

Nick grinned at them. "You're so sweet together. Whoever would have thought this enormous lump of coal would turn out to be such a milksop?"

Rain rolled her eyes. Her younger sister had never been one to mince her words. Or think before she spoke. Fortunately, Marcus—and everyone else in the family—was used to it by now and barely registered when she spoke out of turn. Nick's husband, Gabriel Winter, cleared his throat.

"I believe I knew," he said, his green eyes twinkling. "He's not nearly as dangerous as he looks."

Marcus raised a dark eyebrow at his friend. "But a milksop?"

Winter chuckled. "Fair. That is probably not the correct word. Perhaps a bulky bookworm."

"Seems apt." Nick nodded. "And I mainly meant in relation to Rain. He'd do anything for her."

"True." Marcus pulled Rain a little closer, making her smile. He would never be someone who loved social gatherings, but he had definitely come out of his shell around her family. Maybe a little too much, she considered, as she had to laughingly push him away as he nuzzled her hair.

"You're making a public scene," she teasingly admonished. "It is not proper. Aren't dukes always proper?"

He leaned closer, his hot breath fanning her ear as he whispered, "Not this one."

When he straightened and she saw the glint of dark desire in his eyes, her insides fluttered to life and her cheeks heated. The last year together had been absolutely amazing, and she loved how he had abandoned all control when they were alone. Especially in the bedroom. The iron bands he kept on his emotions were gone when no one else was around, and she loved that he was comfortable enough with her not to feel the need to temper himself.

Someone cleared their throat, reminding her that they were not alone now. Turning to her family, she gave them an embarrassed grin. Other than Nathaniel, they all looked happy for her. She knew her brother was too, but he always seemed just a little uncomfortable whenever his sisters and their husbands were a little too close to each other in his company.

"I believe this next dance is for me," Nathaniel said as he took his wife's hand.

Angel smiled up at him. "Oh, is it?"

"Most definitely. Lest I start feeling sick watching these men drool over my sisters," he muttered, making his wife laugh.

"You should be pleased they have all found love matches," she said.

"I am," he agreed, then his upper lip curled in disgust. "I just wish I didn't have a front-row seat to how much in love they are."

"Then stop looking," his best friend, Jacob Hurst, the Earl of Wortham—husband of their sister Jessica—said with a grin. "It is not so hard."

As if to prove his point, the earl swept his wife into his arms and placed a loud kiss on her mouth. Quite scandalous behaviour during a ball, but then Wortham had never cared much for his reputation.

Nathaniel groaned. "It would be easier if you weren't all right in front of my eyes. Hence, why I will take my wife for a spin on the dancefloor."

"Honestly, all the times I had to walk in on you and your wife kissing, I think you can handle it," Wortham muttered with dark amusement.

Angel's cheeks flushed pink, and she took Nathaniel's hand and dragged him towards the dance floor. "Time for that dance," she mumbled.

As if on cue, the family group dispersed, leaving Rain alone with her husband. He looked down at her, his hazel eyes warm as he lifted a hand to gently cup the expanding curve of her stomach through her blue ball gown.

"I wish you would have remained at Winterbourne Hall," he admitted, but he didn't sound disappointed. "It's a long journey to London and back in your condition."

She smiled. "Yes, but you know I love the Season. And we have another two months before I'm due, so I will be safely back home before the baby comes. And the current fashion easily hides my condition." She took his hand in hers and lifted it to her lips. "As long as you stop touching my tummy in public."

"I'm sorry." He smiled sheepishly. "But I cannot get over the sheer amazement to know my future son or daughter is already with us, in a sense. Have you already thought of a name?"

"Not yet," she admitted. "I would like to choose a Shakespeare name as the others have, but they've all stolen the best ones already. I'm sure we can find a suitable one, though."

"Any name you want." He squeezed her hands in his. "I'll do anything for you. For our child. I didn't have the best role model."

Pulling her hand from his grip, she reached up and placed a hand on his cheek as she met his worried gaze. "You are nothing like the former duke," she said. "You will be a wonderful father."

The corner of his mouth drooped. "I will do everything I can to be everything you need. I will never stop trying to be a better man for you."

"Marcus." She leaned up on her tiptoes so she could give him a quick kiss. "You are already everything I need."

And he was. He was her rock. Her love. Everything she could ever desire in life, and more.

Glancing around to check no one was watching them, he pulled her towards the doors to the garden. "And you are my everything," he mumbled as he leaned down to kiss her neck. "Come and let me show you exactly how much I love you."

She giggled as he dragged her outside and into the dark parts of the garden. If anyone had seen them leave, it would be quite the scandal, but she didn't care. All she cared about was the man in front of her and their future together. A future that held every promise, every possibility. And so much love.

THE END

~~~~~~