Chapter 16: The Trial

Start from the beginning

"What are you trying to say?"

"Though death penalty is present in this empire, there are certain conditions to be met before it is to be executed." Armin said "First, the person's execution will occur a week after his trial. Second, if the person to be executed is not a citizen of the Aelius Empire, he shall be sent to where he came from, and then negotiations will be made."

Armin was shaking, he had to take his chance. He is not gonna let them die without fighting back, he knows that they can easily kill them, bury them somewhere were they cannot be found. But there will be risks in doing it.

The Emperor didn't speak. He silently stared at him, a hand on his right cheek as his elbow rests on the chair's arm.

"And if I recall, before a decision is made, everyone in the council should be present, the Duke of House Sterling is currently absent meaning the decision made is not absolute and lastly you cannot lay even a finger on the Duke's fianceé as this empire gives great importance to engagements and marriages. Isn't that right, Your Majesty?"

Clyde always said, His Majesty likes smart and cunning people. He cares greatly for his reputation as well, keeping up appearances, as Curtis said. If anything goes wrong Armin is sure that they can-

"What are you all standing for? Can you not see how they mocked the Great Empire of Aelius?" Duke Heroux said.

"Anyone who brings their heads to me will be rewarded." He added.

Looks like it did not work.

"Armin stay behind me, make sure that both you and Eren won't get caught." says Mikasa.

As one of the many knights surrounding them made his move Mikasa stepped forward, this man is nothing. He was easily disarmed by Mikasa, Curtis was much more of a challenge than this man. How did he become a knight and Curtis didn't?

Several knights then rushed towards Mikasa, she quickly took the sword of the man she disarmed a while ago. Mikasa fought with them flawlessly, she is highly skilled, she knew when to dodge and when to strike, and when she did strike she does it with precision. No single strike wasted.

One was about to strike her head but she dodge it and kicked him, another one and another one and another one. They kept coming but the girl is way too strong for them, it was like she was born to fight. How can she fight like this?

Compared to the knights who have large bodies Mikasa was petite, but she easily defeated a dozen of them already without even needing the help of her friends.

"Is there anyone who still wants to fight? Come forward so I can cut you down." Mikasa said threateningly.

"Tsk. Is that so? It appears that you keep making trouble for the Sterlings. After your appearance, trouble kept coming to them. Well, its not like trouble kept its distance in the first place." Duke Heroux said.

Mikasa irked at his comment. What does he mean?

"You should have stayed still instead of fighting back. You may be his fianceé but you are way too stubborn for your own good aren't you? I wonder how the Duke will react you know, to this whole fiasco. I wonder how he'll react to your death."

"Kill them." He ordered.

Mikasa fought tirelessly, she had to keep the two safe, there is no way she'll let them get hurt. They had to go. They had to leave now, but how? This place is surrounded by knights, thought some of them are weak many of them would probably be a lot stronger, especially that Duke Heroux, why isn't he making his move? He can kill them right away, the commander of the Knights 2nd Division, the Wolf, can do it. So why wait. And wait for what exactly?

After a few more exchange of blows Mikasa now found herself with a large gash on her left arm. It hurts but she just felt it now, probably because of the adrenaline.

"Why are you simply standing there?" Mikasa asked Duke Heroux "Are you afraid you might lose against an Eldian scum like me?" she provoked.

"Cocky now are we? You might be strong young lady, but it is impossible for you to take me head on." Duke Heroux said calmly.

Mikasa pointed her sword towards Duke Heroux saying "I can. I'm strong. Stronger than all of you. Extremely strong. I can kill all of you no doubt. Even if I'm alone."

Duke Heroux laughed at her statement. Does she really think she can take me down? He thought.

"Commander, please allow me to kill her already." One of the knights said.

"Yes commander, please allow us to kill her."

There was an uproar among the knights, they were angry at how she impliedly looked down upon them.

Armin scanned the room and it looks like all of the knights present at the throne room belongs to the 2nd Division. No one from both the Knights 1st Division and House Sterling is present during this trial. Is this simply a coincidence?

"All of you stand down." Duke Heroux said. "I like your confidence. What a waste of talent, perhaps you can blame it on your race. If you want to die that much, I'll do you a favor. Let's just say this is my engagement gift for the both of you." he said as he slowly walked towards Mikasa.

Mikasa gripped her sword tightly, compared to the Duke's perfectly fine sword, her's was garbage. It's condition is extremely bad and she knows that fighting him will take everything she has.

She is already staggering, Mikasa knew she's at her limit, but she has to fight. Right now there is no Clyde nor Curtis. No Duke Sterling to save them. To save her.

For the past two years, her relationship with the Duke improved. From a complete stranger, he became her friend. But despite the confidence she has that the Duke will keep them safe, there is still a part of her that doubts it.

If he is here, will he take her side? Just as he promised that night?