27. calculate the risk

While Gregory and the other animatronics head over to mini golf before the complex closes, you and Freddy slip away to talk. Half of you wishes you could go golf as well, but the reasonable half says it's time to confront the lingering issues in the facility. You motion for Freddy to follow you and enter an employee's only area. Together, you ascend a staircase with access to the roof of the plex. The sun has started to set and the view is spectacular. You take a moment to soak it all in then sit down on the edge of the roof. Freddy looks very concerned that you'll fall off so you move back.

"This is a nice place to talk, it has been a long time since I have been outside," Freddy notes, and takes a deep breath. You wonder if he can smell the fresh air, he seems to enjoy it either way, "what has been on your mind?"

Despite it being no fault of yours you feel guilty sharing the news with him, "Management is talking about making changes to make the plex more profitable. My boss wants to replace Roxy. I'm doing everything I can to stop it but I'm afraid," you look up at Freddy with an apologetic expression.

"Why did you not tell me sooner?" he asks, it's the same question you asked him that night in parts and services.

"I thought you'd been through enough. We finally had some peace and I wanted that to last longer," you admit. Apparently a month free of problems was too much to ask.

"I do not want my own peace at the expense of yours. I am sure the others would feel the same way y/n," Freddy shakes his head then pulls you into his lap for a hug.

"What are we going to do?" you ask as the sun dips below the horizon.

"I am not sure. But we will not let them take another one of our friends away," Freddy declares and holds onto you tighter.

"I'm going to keep working to fix this," you promise.

"I know you will. Even if your boss is against you," Freddy says and you nod.

"I don't know how a place I love so much can continue beating me down," You have such wonderful and terrible memories from the facility. You've gained so much only for people to try to take it away. You make eye contact with Freddy and something occurs to you, "It's you all that make this place what it is to me and everyone else. The games and flashing lights are cool but my best memories are the ones with you in them. It has nothing to do with the facility,"

"That is very kind of you," Freddy says, sounding a bit bashful.

"I mean it, this place would be nothing without you, and maybe they need to realize that," You say as the seeds of an idea are planted in your mind. You look up as the first stars of night begin to shine, "I can't remember the last time I wished on a star. I think I know my wish though,"

"I never realized there were so many things a person could wish on," Freddy speaks softly as he also gazes at the stars, "birthday candles, lucky numbers, specific weeds. But stars are my favorite,"

"Maybe we ought to give it a try again," you suggest with a chuckle. It can't hurt to try.

Freddy points at a small consolation of stars clustered together, "Those look like good wishing stars,"

"There's one for each of us, I like it," you notice then close your eyes to make your wish.

It feels a little silly at first, but as the cool night wind drifts through the air and Freddy begins to say his wish, you decide to embrace the old childish tradition, "I wish for good days, and for my family and friends to always be close," Freddy says, it's a nice thing to ask for.

Freddy holds onto your hand and squeezes it, letting you know it's your turn. You think, then share your wish, "I wish to do my best, and for my best to be enough. I wish that we all get the futures we deserve," you say, hoping that somehow the universe might hear you.