19. finding family

Moondrop launches forward like an uncoiling spring hurling towards you. Thinking fast, you tuck and roll behind the computer stand to avoid being hit. You jump to your feet to see Moondrop crashed into the back wall. Before you can put your plan in motion he comes back to life and stands up at his full height. You take a step back and center your weight so you're as stable as possible.

"I know this isn't you, and deep down you know it too," you try to reason. Moondrop waves a finger like a teacher might at a student who gave the wrong answer. Then he leaps at you without warning. There's no time to dodge but you've got a trick up your sleeve. As Moondrop tackles you to the ground you press the sun shaped button on your lapel. You hope it doesn't hurt Sundrop too, "sorry buddy,"

A bright beam of light flashes from the center of the button and Moondrop screeches and goes stiff. You waste no time shoving him off and making a break for the computer again. With a few presses it comes to life. You push the command to open the doors of the protection chamber then run over to stand at the entrance. As you reach your mark Moondrop stands up and turns his head a near 180° to look at you.

"Sundrops toy can't stop me forever," he growls and runs forward. Once again, instead of running you wait for him to reach you. You flash the light, not as strong this time. It's enough to disrupt his vision. He sprints forward blindly and you jump to the the side at the last second.

Moondrop tumbles into the protection chamber and you give one more flash to slow him down while you sprint to the controls to shut the door. Your heart is racing and your old injuries aching as you give a sigh of relief. Then a fist slams into the glass by your head. You jump with a yelp to see Moondrop laughing at you. He tilts his head to the side with that same taunting smile, "you can't stop this,"

"What do you mean 'this?' What do you know?" You ask, stepping closer to the glass again.

"You think snipping some wires is going to fix anything? Your friends will turn on you again," he says with a sneer and slams his fist into the glass again. It doesn't crack but you still flinch at the sound, "even Freddy will betray you eventually,"

"That's not true!" You shout back and now you're the one to hit the glass barrier between you two.

"Oh, did I strike a chord?" He teases and puts a hand over his heart in false surprise.

"I'm not going to fall for whatever game you're playing at!" you turn your back on Moondrop before you say or do something you regret.

As you walk to the exit on the other end of the room Moondrop calls after you, "when he finally cracks don't say I didn't warn you!"

You whip around and shout, "you can antagonize me all you want but it only makes me more determined to make things right!" You point a finger at him angrily then spin on your heel and leave.

You set off at a jog as Moondrops voice fades into the background. You feel bad leaving Sundrop in there when the lights come on, but it's a necessary precaution for now. You tap on your watch and call Gregory, "I took care of Moondrop, did you find Freddy?"

Only a few seconds later Gregory responds, "I found him! We're almost to the exit!"

"Great, I'm on my way now too," you check your watch. The doors should unlock in five minutes.

"Were you hurt? Are you alright?" Freddy asks, you can clearly picture the look of concern on his face right now.

"I'm fine, I trapped Moondrop in the protection chamber," you explain and check yourself for any new injuries. Thankfully, you find none, "my disguise is hardly scuffed!"

"I am glad to hear that, I was very concerned," Freddy says with a small sigh. The faint sound of his steps in the back of the call stops, then he says, "we have made it to the exit, I will wait for you here,"