21. no good deed

All consuming darkness is the only thing you can see from the edge of the pit. A cool air wafts up from the depths, chilling your body and spirit. You wish you could seal it off and bury whatever is down there. But hiding problems has only ever created more of them for this company. You have to face this head on. You squeeze Freddy and Monty's hands then let go, "once we go down there's no turning back," you tell them. The determination on their faces is unwavering.

"We owe this to every missing kid and hurt person," Freddy says as he locates a good place to enter the pit. He points to a spot, "this is where we end this,"

"I'm completely with you!" Monty punches his right fist into his left hand then turns to you, "Thanks for getting us this far,"

"We would not have made it here without you," Freddy adds, turning back to look at you. He pauses, then rests his forehead against yours and whispers, "whatever happens down there, I want you to know I am so glad we met,"

"Don't talk like that, you make it sound like you might not come back," you scold. There's no malice behind it, only concern.

"I may not come back," Freddy says and you lean back to look him in the eyes, cupping his cheeks in your hands.

You're about to say something when Monty pulls you both into a group hug, "no one's dying on my watch so you can cut it out with the dramatic goodbye!" He lifts you both off the ground then drops you back down.

"Thanks Monty!" You wheeze a little as you catch your breath after being held so tight.

A cool breeze rises and draws you all back to your mission. No more waiting. You all share a knowing look then begin the decent. Freddy leads the way, you take the middle, and Monty guards the back. You fazwatch looses signal only few feet down and a feeling of dread begins to seep in, weighing you down like it intends to choke you. Despite the darkness, your intuition tells you something else is down here.

"I can't belive all this was under the plex!" Monty marvels as you reach the end of the decent. You flash your flashlight and locate a series of generators.

"When they said the problems went deep here I guess it was literal," you don't quite laugh, just breath a little heavier as you flip on the generators. Old lights flicker on to provide some illumination.

"This is different than anything I have seen, yet it feels familiar," Freddy comments, concern is heavy in his tone.

"Let's keep moving," you advise and grab his hand. Freddy jolts at the touch but quickly realizes it's you and holds on.

You follow the only trail through the messy corridor. You expect something to jump out at any second. Every unknown sound puts you more on edge. Eventually you reach the end of the path to find yourself somewhere eerily familiar. An old security room. The camera footage is still running and everything, "what is this place?" You look between Monty and Freddy. They both look as confused as you.

"It's freaky as hell, that's what it is!" Monty declares but he can't bring himself to shout at his usual volume.

"Y/n, Monty..." Freddy calls to both of you then points to one of the screens. It's blurry and the signal keeps going out. However, when footage comes through you faintly make out motion. It looks alive, "We are not alone,"

"There's power, we'll lock it out if we have to," you point at the double set of doors. The steel should be strong enough to hold back a regular animatronic. But whatever that is, it isn't regular, "it can at least buy us some time,"

"What's your plan?" Monty asks, and sharpens his claws on the edge of the desk.

You pinch your eyes shut and take a deep breath. Something about what you're about to ask seems wrong, scary maybe, "how do you destroy a memory chip? For good?"