Chapter 61

" Where are we even going?" I ask as all of us pile into Kiara's car.

" Just get in." John B says, getting in the back seat.

Kiara starts driving towards town and we all fall into conversation. Kie and I are sitting in the front, Pope and John B are in the backseat, and JJ is in the trunk. I turn on the radio quietly and just look out the window as we drive. I stare at the sky, looking at all the stars and trying to identify the constellations.

We come to a stop and I look around to see where we are. We are stopped right in front of the police station.

" John B, what are we doing at the police station?" JJ asks.

" Somebody's gotta tell them what happened." John B answers.

Pope starts coughing badly as he smokes a joint.

" Ohh, easy there, Chief. Damn." JJ says as Pope's coughing dies down.

" All right," JJ starts, putting his hand on JB's shoulder. " I'm just gonna be real with you right now." JJ says, pausing to gather his thoughts.

" You might end up in the Lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose." JJ says, taking his hand away from John B. " It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is." JJ explains, and I give him a look.

" Your old man is an abusive liar." Kiara says, and I let out a muffled chuckle. It isn't funny, but she basically took the words outta my mouth.

" I agree with JJ. Fuck the police." Pope says.

" What are you, Eazy E?" I ask sarcastically.

" You going to the dark side now?" Kiara asks.

" When's the last time the police ever helped us?" Pope asks.

" Peterkin looked out for me, all right? Tried to, at least." John B says, shutting Pope up.

" They need to know." He says, getting out of the car and walking towards the police station.

We sit in a comfortable silence, as the smell of weed slowly fills the car. After a few minutes, John B runs out of the station.

" Kie! Start the car! Start the car, Kie!" John B yells, running towards us and Kiara stumbles with the keys as she tries to start the car.

" John B." Kiara says, panicking as she attempts to get the car started.

" John B, what did you do?!" Kiara yells, her keys dangling as she gets them in the ignition.

" Kie, drive!" JJ yells.

" Go!" I yell.

" I'm going! I'm sorry!" She yells as she pulls off, and a female officer grabs the window of John B's door and runs alongside the car.

" Stop the car, right now!" The officer yells.

" What did you do?!" Kiara yells as she keeps driving.

" Open it." Pope tells John B.

" Pull over!" The officer yells.

John B opens his door a little bit, and the officer falls to the ground. We all are breathing heavily, trying to catch our breath as we take in what is happening.

Time skip

Kiara parks by some barn looking thing with a cover for a car, off the side of the road so no one can see us. The soft snores of John B, Pope, and Kiara fill the car. JJ and I lay in a comfortable silence, smoking a joint. The windows cracked slightly, and a cool breeze carries the smoke out.