Chapter 35

Makena's POV

I get back home at 4:45pm and luckily, my father isn't home yet. I decide to clean up so that he won't get mad when he gets back home.

Time skip to 5:30

I finally finish cleaning up now I'm in more pain than ever. I head over to the bathroom and take 3 Tylenol pills. Then I gently wash off my arms and legs with some sink water because I don't have the energy to get into the shower.

Time skip to 6:30

I'm in my room laying down, when I hear someone walking on the porch. I freeze before quickly locking my door and getting back into bed.
    " Makena!" I hear my dad yell out.
" Mande?" I reply.
     " Come here!" I hear him yell.
I get up and go into the living room.
    " Yes?" I ask, confused as to why he called me out here.
    " Thank you for cleaning up." He says coldly, focusing on the tv in front of him.
    " You're welcome." I say, then I turn to walk away.
    " Wait." He says.
I stop walking and turn back around.
    " Give me a beer." He says, not looking up from the tv.
     I quickly go to the kitchen and grab a beer from the fridge, then head back to the living room.
    " Here." I say, handing him the beer.
" You can go now." He says, annoyed.
    I walk back to my room and lock the door behind me.
   I lay back down on my bed and try to fall asleep.

JJ's POV

We finally pull up to Midsummers and get out of the boat.
" Ready." I ask JB, grabbing my bag from the boat and walking away a bit.
" Can you believe this Midsummer shit, man?" John B asks, grabbing his stuff from the boat.
" Of course I can, it happens every year. No matter how screwed up the rest of us are." I say, slightly annoyed.
" So, like, what's the plan exactly?" I ask JB as we walk toward the party.
" I need you to give this to Sarah." John B tells me, pulling out a small, folded piece of paper.
" Can I read it?" I ask, grabbing the paper and looking at it.
" No, you can't read it." John B explains, annoyed at my question.
I open it anyway and quickly look at it. I notice the name Vlad and I'm curious.
" Who's Vlad?" I ask.
" Do you ever listen?" JB asks, getting more annoyed.
" Hold up, are you mackin' Sarah Cameron?" I ask him.
" Would you just shut up?" John B asks, getting flustered.
" You're macking Sarah Cameron!" I say loudly.

Time skip

We get to Rixon's cove and get a fire started.
     " Hey, so like my dad's already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asks.
     John B looks at me and silently asks if we should tell them.
    " Might as well tell them, before we're gaffed." I say.
    " You ready for this?" John B asks us.
" Yeah." Kie says, confused.
     " So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant." John B explains.
    " Here we go again." Pope says annoyed.
" Hear him out, alright?" I say.
    " It's been here the whole time." John B says, then he dramatically pauses.
    " It's on the Island." JB says.
" Are you serious." Kie asks in disbelief.
John B nods.
     " I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope says.
" I'm sure you would, Pope." JB says, standing up and walking toward the middle of the group.
      " But can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" John B asks.
     " Proceed." Pope says tiredly.
" All right. So, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." JB says, pulling the letter out from his backpack.
" Who the hell's that?" Kie asks.
" Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck." John B explains.
" What?" Kie asks.
" Check this out." John B says, handing her the letter.
" Slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery." John B explains.
I start to zone out a little and start thinking about MJ. Then I realize I haven't seen her since earlier when our dads picked us up. I start to worry but then I decide that she's probably fine and just at the Chateau.
Kie whistles at me and hands me the letter, which I give to Pope.

Makena's POV

I wake up at 8:45 pm from my nap. I try to sit up but my body aches and I have to lay back down.
" Son of a bitch." I say, hating that I can't sit up.
I lay there for a bit, trying to regain my strength. While I lay there my mind starts wandering.
I start thinking about JJ, and if he's okay, if he's read my letter yet. I hope he has but at the same time I hope he hasn't because I know that if he's had, he's hurt. I wonder how bad his dad messed him up but I force that out of my mind, cause I can't do anything about it.
I sit there for 5 more minutes before I finally get up and walk over to my dresser and grab some Tylenol. I take another 2 and grab my earbuds, then I get back in bed. I put on some music and sit up against my headboard.

JJ's POV

Kiara, Pope, and I are waiting in the van while John B meets up with Sarah at the Hawk's nest.
" Kiara, holding onto your grudge is like drinking poison and thinking Sarah will die." Pope says.
" Exactly." I agree.
" Anyways," Kie says, switching the subject.
" Have either of you seen or heard from Makena?" Kie asks.
Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed her absence.
" No, you?" Pope says, looking at me.
" No, but she's probably just at the Chateau." I explain, trying to convince myself that she's okay.
" I don't think-" Pope starts but gets cut off by Kie.
" Wait, do you guys hear that?" Kie asks.
Pope and I shut up for a second but it's silent.
" What?" Pope and I ask in unison.
" Please, somebody help!" We hear Sarah scream.
" Shit." Pope says, getting out of the van.
" Oh, no, I hear that." I say following Pope.
We all run towards the Hawk's nest and see John B laying on his back, with Sarah kneeling over him.
" Sarah, what happened?!" Pope asks, as we run towards JB.

Makena's POV

I wake up again. I check the time and it's only 10:30pm.
" What the fuck?" I mutter under my breath.
Why can't I stay asleep. I just back down.
My mind starts to wander and I try to get it to calm down so I can sleep but it just keeps going. I get a weird feeling, that somethings not right with the Pogues.
' Yeah, you just abandoned them' I think. I know I hurt them but I can't risk leaving again. If I get caught leaving, my dad will kill me, and if I do leave, he'll either find me and kill me or he'll report me missing, and have the cops find me. Or if we're going with what I want to happen, he'll give up and leave me alone, but that probably won't happen.

A/N: Thank you so much for reading. Please don't forget to vote and comment.