Chapter Twenty Nine

Começar do início

The conversation was diverted elsewhere with the pair of girls getting to know each other, but my mind was on everything that was going on.

"Jaxon!"

The pair of men were sat together, they seemed to be discussing something when my voice caused both of their heads to snap in my direction.

"Lyr!" Jaxon responded and quickly came closer to the bars. "What the hell happened?"

"Our plan failed," I told him, shrugging.

"Well no shit sherlock," Jaxon said, sarcastically. "I mean is my loser of a brother dead yet?"

I bit my lip. "No, he managed to escape."

Jaxon growled loudly. "What? Your mate looked ready to kill him, I'm surprised he failed."

"Jaxon, don't," I told him, not appreciating the way he talked about Alexander.

I wanted them to be friends, if that was even possible. I loved them both and didn't want any conflict between them.

Jaxon shrugged. "What? He doesn't strike me as the forgiving type, I'm surprised that's all."

"He's not like that," I defended, remembering how wrong I had been about my mate.

Jaxon arched a brow, and Ava grinned knowingly by my side. But neither pried any further.

"Why do you want Gabriel dead, anyway?" Ava asked, changing the subject.

"Are you kidding? That asshole is selfish," he sneered, staring off in to the distance as if he was reminiscing memories. "He had me running around for years like his dog."

"Hmm," I hummed, trying to understand him, but also not wanting him to get worked up over Gabriel. "There is something I wanted to talk to you about, actually."

He arched a brow. "Right now?"

I glanced around and realised perhaps it wasn't the best environment to confront him about what Alexander had told me.

"Perhaps later," I agreed.

"Do we have any tabs on Gabriel?" Ava asked, bringing our focus back on the issue at hand.

Matteo shrugged. "Sebastian was reporting everything but he hasn't for a while. We can't reach him and, I can't locate him either."

I bit my bottom lip. After my encounter with the boy at Pale Moon, I hadn't seen him again either. Gabriel knew about Matteo's gift and had his ways of masking his presence. We had discovered this a while ago, which was now impacting us negatively.

"Jaxon, right?" Zynthéa wondered, bringing me back to the presence.

"And you are?" Jaxon asked, raising a brow at her.

Zynthéa cleared her throat. "You can call me Théa. I would shake your hand but I don't exactly want to electrocute myself."

She pointed to the large black metal bars and Jaxon nodded in response.

'I like her, she's cool.'

The smile on my face spread further at his words and I nodded in agreement. He was right, Zynthéa was pretty cool.

"So, Matteo told me you got a free pass in to this pack," Jaxon told Ava, smirking.

Ava grinned back at him. "What can I say? I'm loved everywhere I go."

Matteo smiled at her lovingly. "That, you definitely are."

Jaxon made a gagging sound but before he could say anything, a loud commotion caused all of us to silence. The underground wasn't exactly silent from the times I had visited, but there was never any fights.

"What's going on?" Jaxon asked, his eyes turning to me.

Just as confused, I shrugged. "I'm not sure. Zynthéa?"

Zynthéa seemed more pale than usual, her brows knitted and jaw clenched. "Dyami has just told me that Wolves trespassed. Jaxon?"

Everything happened so fast after that. I could hardly keep up when Zynthéa had released both Jaxon and Matteo. Before I could question anything, the trio had me pushed in to the cell.

"Zynthéa! What are you doing?" I yelled after the girl, but she ignored me.

Ava joined me inside of the cell a mere second later.

We glanced at each other in confusion as the door to the cell was locked shut. She took my hand in hers to comfort me, but I was distracted when Alexander entered my mind. Only then did I realise I was shaking in fear of the unknown.

'Lyra, are you alright?'

'Alexander, what is happening?'

'I'm on my way. Stay in the cell and do not move.'

'What's going on? Alexander!"

'I am almost there, baby. Hold on.'

Alexander continued to send words of endearment to me, and tried to keep me calm for the most part, but I was confused and frightened.

When Zynthéa shifted in to her Wolf, my thoughts abandoned my mate and I glanced out of the cell where all three of my friends were stood.

The three in their Wolf form confused me at first, until the intruder appeared in my vision. They had known, and that's why they had me locked up, to protect me.

Panic struck me as my eyes met with the grey ones that I had so hard tried to escape from. He was here and he had found me. He was going to hurt the people I loved, all because of me.

The thought infuriated me and I fell back against the wall as I watched Gabriel attack my friends and I could do nothing but watch in horror.