[7] date at the Forbidden Cities (almost got caught)

"We never said we were. Pepper here was just talking about it." Keefe rolled his eyes when he realized Lord Cassius had been eavesdropping on our entire conversation.

Lord Cassius raised a brow, "you're not going." He repeated.

"I'm not." Keefe insisted.

I decided to stay quiet. I didn't want to say something that'll ruin our entire plan to sneak to the Forbidden Cities. I still thought this was a bad idea, but I was only going through with it because Keefe really wanted to go.

"Good. Because if I find your out running around in the Forbidden Cities you'll be in a lot of trouble." Lord Cassius warned.

"Psh, you punish me? Yeah, not happening." Keefe grinned. "Now can you please leave? Pepper and I were having an important conversation."

Lord Cassius sighed, "I don't think talking about sneaking to the Forbidden Cities is something I should leave you alone to talk about."

"That's not what we were talking about! You just heard little bits and pieces." Keefe insisted.

"Then what were you talking about." He asked.

"Dating," Keefe said smugly, "Pepper and I are thinking about getting together." He walked over to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He pulled me close to him.

My face was probably as red as a tomato. I get that he was just trying to make up a lie, but that might've been too much. Dating?!

The thought of us walking around holding hands came into mind. Then he leans over and whispers how much he loves me. Then gets closer, and closer, until our lips meet– WHAT AM I THINKING. I don't like Keefe like that, nor do I want to kiss him. He's just a friend. A really good friend...

Lord Cassius was silent for a moment. With each passing second, Keefe slowly moved me closer to him, to the point where my head was resting on his chest. Keefe's dad seemed to buy it and left.

Ro quietly walked over to the door and peeked out of the room and watched as Lord Cassius went down the hall. She turned back and gave a thumbs up to make sure he really was gone.

"That was close," I muttered, realizing Keefe's arm was still warming around me.

Keefe shrugged, "so when do we get to go to the Forbidden Cities?" He asked.

"Let's meet up outside of Elwin's house at midnight." I decided.

"Alright, midnight, Forbidden Cities. It's a date." Keefe clapped his hands together.

A....DATE?!

I never said anything about it and went back to Elwin's house shortly after.

-.-.-.-.-.-

That night, I struggled to keep myself awake. It had been an exhausting day. Eventually, my body gave out and I fell asleep. My main plan was to stay up and sneak to the Forbidden Cities with Keefe and Ro. I stopped holding back because it grew pointless. Might as well get a bit of sleep before I go so I'm not half awake when I meet up with them.

I ended up dreaming of a bunch of little banshees running around a field. I sat on my knees watching them run around. Sometimes they'd crawl on my lap wanting scratches. I served the fuzzy banshees' needs with bliss.

BANG BANG!

All the banshees scattered from the loud banging noise, leaving me in the open field alone. I looked around to see what could be causing the noise, but I was the only one here.

BAAAAAANG!

My eyes slowly peeled open. That's when I realized the banging noise was not from my dream.

I got out of bed, rubbing my eyes. This is what I got for sleeping. I wonder how long Keefe waited before coming to the window of my room to bang on. How did he even reach my window?

Without any more strange thoughts, I opened the window.

Keefe and Ro flopped inside, then quickly stood up.

"It's past midnight!" Keefe whined, "I can't believe you fell asleep. You know how long it took me to find your window?"

"I'm sorry. I was so tired... I tried my best to stay up...." I muttered.

Keefe grinned, "no worries Pepper! As long as we're here now."

I was tempted to ask how he even managed to climb up the side of the house to reach my window, but I decided not to.

"Let's stop wasting time and go." Ro said impatiently, "I wanna see what the human world looks like. And I hope it isn't super-sparkly like Elf Land here."

"I don't think it was sparkly," I told her.

"Good." she smiled, "now, let's go."

"Hold on, I need to find the crystal." I quietly

I quietly walked around my room opening a bunch of drawers trying to remember where I put the crystal. Most of the drawers were empty since I didn't have much stuff.

"Isn't this it right here?" Keefe asked, pointing to a blue crystal on the floor.

I wobbled over to where his finger pointed. I bent over and picked up the crystal.

"Yes..." I muttered in embarrassment. The crystal must've fallen off a shelf and I hadn't noticed.

"Wooo Forbidden Cities let's go!" Ro cheered.

"Shhh, keep it down or Elwin will find out what we're up to." I shushed her.

"Sorry." She apologized.

We all grabbed each other's hands and I held up the crystal as we lept off to the Forbidden Cities.

When we got there, we ended up in the middle of a back road in the forest. Past the trees, you could see some buildings, with the signs lighting up. If I had to guess, we ended up somewhere in America.

"This place is way more boring than I expected." Ro sighed.

"Yeah, it is pretty bland here compared to the Lost Cities." I agreed.

A moment of silence passed.

"Sooooooooooo, what do we do now?" Keefe asked.

"I don't know, this was your idea." I shrugged.

"Okay, I see how it is. Everyone follow me!" He started marching towards the buildings glowing beyond the trees. 

________

This chapter is slightly shorter– lost a bit of motivation, but its back because i have a great idea >:D