[3] can Sophie recover my memories? (i hope...)

The following day arrived. I had just woken up from a nice long rest. Today was the day I met this Sophie girl. She would hopefully be able to recover my lost memories.

Elwin told me that I would be free to leave the Healing Center this afternoon after Sophie does her telepathic stuff. The only problem is, I don't have anywhere to go after I leave the Healing Center. Wherever I use to live was somewhere in the Forbidden Cities, and I doubt the Council will allow me to go back there. Plus I don't even remember where I previously lived.

The morning went by slower than I wanted it to go. Staring at the same walls got insanely boring. I wanted to play with the ferret-like creature (Elwin told me they were called banshee) but Bullhorn didn't particularly like me. He only slept on my lap yesterday because he was screaming the day before since I apparently was close to death. That's when I discovered that I recovered within two days! TWO DAYS!!! After almost dying somehow I'm pretty much back to normal.

At last, the afternoon arrived. Keefe and Ro slammed open the door and marched in. Following behind them was a girl with long blonde hair. Sophie.

"Hey Pepper!" Keefe waved.

I rolled my eyes. I still didn't agree with that nickname.

"Pepper...?" Sophie questioned.

Keefe turned around and smiled at her. Something was different about that smile. It looked like he deeply cared for Sophie. My stomach tightened just watching him react that way towards her.

Am I...

Jealous?

That's ridiculous. I've only known Keefe for like a day. Sure he's cute and all, but I didn't like him like that.

I was going to tell Sophie my name before Keefe could convince her it was my real name, but my throat felt dry and tight. I had the urge to stay away and not make any conflict between the two.

Thankfully, Elwin walked in from the other room to give out a proper introduction, "Sophie, this is Y/n. Y/n this is Sophie."

She gave me a friendly smile and walked over to the bed I was sitting on. Seeing her up close made me realize she was far prettier than I was. Her perfect long blonde hair, smooth skin, and her eyes. I've never seen an elf with brown eyes before. Something about her just screamed different, but in a good way.

"I heard you lost your memories. I'm going to need your permission to enter your mind, then I can search for all your missing memories." She told me.

I nodded, unsure what to expect, "will it hurt?"

Sophie shook her head. "No. But it might feel a little weird," she informed.

She gently placed her fingers on my temples. I then gave her permission to access my mind. And when she told me weird, she really meant it. My mind suddenly felt super squishy. All my thoughts were bouncing around and mushing against each other. It wasn't exactly a pleasant feeling, nor uncomfortable. Just weird.

I sat there quietly as Sophie searched my mind. Everything was too scrambled in my head to notice if anything had been recovered. After a couple of minutes had passed she pulled back. Her facial expression was blank. I couldn't tell if that was good or bad news. But it was nice to finally not have all my thoughts squishing around in my head.

Everyone waited for Sophie to speak, "I couldn't reach any of your missing memories."

Oh.

"How about your little Cognate buddy and you stare into each other's eyes and try," Keefe said with an eye roll that was hard to notice.

"Nobody is trying anything else until I know how Y/n is feeling." Elwin stepped in as he walked towards me with his flashy orbs, "are you doing alright?" he asked.

I nodded, "I feel fine."

I started to get my hopes up. It would've been nice to have my memories back. I wanted to know more about myself.

"Let's wait to try anything else until tomorrow. I don't want Y/n to feel overwhelmed with all of this." Elwin suggested.

"Am I free to leave the Healing Center?" I asked as orbs floated around in my face.

"I think so. But, you might have to take it easy for the next few days. Don't try anything crazy." Elwin said.

"Sweet! Let's go check out Pepper's house! It better not be super sparkly like the rest of the elven place. " Ro said with excitement.

"Um, I don't remember where I lived. And wherever I did live was probably somewhere in the Forbidden Cities." I murmured.

"Well then, I guess we'll need to find a place for you to stay. You can stay at my place until I've found somewhere you can stay." Elwin smiled.

"Thanks."

"I'm sorry Y/n," Sophie muttered.

"It's alright. You tried your best. If anything, I should be thanking you for trying, so thank you."

Nothing much happened after that. Sophie went back to her classes, and Elwin forced Keefe to go back to class as well. I highly doubt Keefe actually went back to his classes, though.

At the end of the day, Elwin pulled out a crystal. We leaped back to his place, which was huge by the way. Not to mention sparkly.

Despite knowing I've lived amongst humans for who knows how long, I remembered a bit of the elven things. Like light leaping. Maybe I would often leap between the Lost Cities and the Forbidden Cities. It only made me want to get my lost memories back even more now.

"How would you like to see about getting into Foxfire?" Elwin asked that night before I went to bed.

"It's a nice school and all, but isn't that for people with abilities?" I wondered.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean you don't have an ability." Elwin said, "you lost your memory, so you could have an ability, but not know."

I never thought about that.

Now I really want to know if I have an ability. I want to get into Foxfire. So I can be with– no. Just so I can become a good student and have incredible control over my ability, whatever that may be...

_____

OKOK now i rlly need to get this more Keefey xD i feel like im off to a slow start...or maybe its good idk?! But since im the writer i happen to already know about Y/n's ability ;) hehehehehe