[5] well, I figured out my ability *shrugs*

Spikes of shadows from the corner shot at Elwin when he arrived home. The sound of his voice scared me. It was far later than I had expected. Keefe kept me up trying to figure out my ability...and now... THIS.

I stopped breathing as I watched the shadow spikes dart down at Elwin. Inches before the shadows touched him, he used his Flasher ability to cancel out the shadows. I was able to breathe again.

I'm definitely going to be kicked out now.

"I'm sorry..." I was barely able to choke out.

Elwin remained calm. I couldn't tell if he was trying to hold back anger. Bullhorn was curled up on his shoulder, somehow still asleep as well.

"That. Was. Amazing." Ro said, "do it again, do it again, do it again!" she began chanting.

Elwin walked towards me. My body completely froze. This is the part where he tells me to leave his house and never return. And possibly punish me, too.

To my surprise, all he did was put his hand on my shoulder and smile.

"I see you've figured out your ability. I'm glad," he said.

Wait... he's not mad?

Wow. I thought I was gone for sure.

"So this means you're a Shade?" Keefe said. I could hear the disappointment in his voice. He obviously disliked the ability.

I shrugged as Elwin nodded.

"I'll notify the Council right away, and then we can arrange a new schedule at Foxfire for you," Elwin said as he started walking to the other room.

We all went silent as Elwin exited the room. I had no idea what to say now other than, "I'm a Shade."

The ability was cool, but this was definitely unexpected. I was expecting more of a common ability, not this!

"Can you do that again?" Ro begged.

"Definitely not!" I yelled.

Keefe giggled a bit, "it's cute to see you frightened, Pepper."

I felt my face heat up a bit. Did he just call me... never mind that. I'M A FREAKING SHADE!! I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this ability now. How to use it or anything. But I know one thing, I'm eager to get full control and use the ability how I please.

A few minutes later Elwin walked back into the room to share some news.

"I called the Council on my Imparter. They said you'll begin your ability classes tomorrow. I hope you don't mind learning with a classmate. Otherwise, you wouldn't have this opportunity." Elwin informed.

Training with a classmate?

Keefe rolled his eyes.

Ro picked at her painted pink nails.

An awkward few minutes of silence passed before Keefe announced, "well, I should head home now... not like I want to, but, you need your beauty sleep." He winked at me before pulling out his home crystal.

And just like that, Keefe was gone.

Elwin turned to me, "you should go get some rest now, Y/n. Tomorrow will be a long day with your new training session."

I nodded, "goodnight."

He muttered goodnight back before we departed. I walked up the stairs and down the hall, to the room I was staying in. I plop down on my bed and stare at the ceiling.