"So what are you wearing?"

"A green dress." She mumbled.

"Jacob told me that green looks great on me."
I mocked.

"Oh shut up." Kelsey tossed the pillow at me. "You're my soulmate, platonically."

"It's always us."

"Don't get sappy on me. Let's start getting dressed. The make-up artist is almost here."

~

"I thought I would show you my gift a little early." I directed. "I promise you aren't missing the party."

"I'm excited." Tobias chuckled.

"Okay stand here." I smiled before taking the blindfold off. "Tada!"

Tobias stared at the painting. He was silent. I nervously stared at him, waiting for his reaction. I did a portrait of him, which sounds weird but Tobias has everything. What could you give a billionaire who has everything?

He stared at it, analyzing every detail. I wish he would say something. Does he like it? Does he hate it?

"Is it weird? I thought it was weird but-"

"I love it." He smiled. "No one ever did something so meaningful. Thank you, Thena."

Tobias pulled me in for a hug. I smiled while hugging him back.

"When did you have time to paint this?" He pulled away.

"When we were in the penthouse. I had a lot of time on my hands." I chuckled. "I'm glad you like it."

"I'll hang it up in my office."

"Tobi! Honey, you need to give a toast for your birthday. I'm losing my head. The waiters are slow, the venue is overfilled, and the birthday boy is everywhere he shouldn't be. Thena! Hi baby." Beverly gave me a quick hug. "Let's go!"

I chuckled as Beverly dragged Tobias behind her. I walked back to the venue and stood next to Kelsey.

"Jacob." I smiled.

"It's not what it looks like." Kelsey quickly pulled away from the taller boy.

"It's exactly what it looks like. Bestie can't stay away from me." Jacob laughed.

"Maybe love is real." I teased.

"Agreed. You and Tobias are so cute." Jacob said.

"Burn." Kelsey chuckled. She stopped before rolling her eyes. "Crazy bitch alert."

"Wow. Are we trying this stunt again?" Lauren smiled. "I thought the paps exposed you for being fake?"

"We were just talking Lauren. Gosh, you're insufferable."Jacob walked away.

"What Lauren?" I sighed. "You realize that we could be civil? right. You instigate every disagreement between us."

"I don't want to be civil." Lauren crossed her arms.

"Why are you so angry with me? Because I'm engaged to your man? It's fake Lauren."

"I'm not mad about that. Tobias is mine and there is no doubt about it. Just a week ago, he was in my house complaining about how much he hated you."

"That's not true."

"You're being played, Athena. Tobias doesn't care for you. He's just trying to please his father. If that means feeding your head with bullshit, so be it."

"I don't believe you, Lauren."

"You don't? Then how do I know about the attack that happened at the penthouse? He tells me everything."

I stared at the ground, trying to contain my anger.

"Why so quiet now?"

Lauren chuckled.

"You're not so innocent as you put on, Athena."

"Lauren that was years ago." Kelsey crossed her arms.

"What? So I'm supposed to forget how you two betrayed me and backstabbed me? How you spread a rumor around school that my family was going broke. Why should I forgive you guys for isolating me and constantly making me feel like the black sheep of the friend group."

"You're loud and causing attention." I looked around at the guests.

"I'm loud because I'm right!"

"You were the black sheep of the friend group. Lauren you constantly talked about me behind my back. Kelsey told me. As for your family going broke, that rumor had nothing to do with me. I had your back, no matter what. Yet you stabbed me in mine."

"I stabbed you?"

"Yeah. When I came to you crying about my father, you blurted it to the whole world. You leaked a story about my family to the blogs." I shook my head. "You looked me in my eyes and told me you didn't. Then you started trashing me, calling me baggage."

"I was saying what everyone thought!" Lauren yelled causing a few gasps. "Do you know how annoying you were?"

"Lauren," Kelsey yelled.

"No don't play innocent Kelsey. You were the one saying these things too: 'Athena is insufferable' 'can we go one minute without her crying' 'she's like baggage that you can't get rid of.' Remember that Kelsey? Remember how you wrote the blog with me?"

Kelsey stood silently.

"Athena, you are a liability. You're a drag. Your mom left because you're a drag."

"Lauren."

"Just a couple of months ago, Kelsey was in my living room drinking wine. Kelsey visits all the time, she just doesn't want to see you."
Lauren stepped close. "Kelsey stopped talking to you because she was sick of your shit."

"Kelsey is this true?" I looked towards her.

She had tears in her eyes, so did I. It felt like my heart was being stepped on.

"Kelsey- never mind." I shook my head.

I wiped the falling tears before running out of the venue.