17. Truth

VALERIE

Riley has evidently become very uncomfortable. I was shocked when he mentioned that he had run away from home. And a thought suddenly popped into my head. What if this was the Riley Suneo who had apparently died last year? What if he hadn't actually died, but ran away? What if he faked his own death? I used to think my wild imaginations were meaningless. But ever since I met this boy everything seems to be possible these days.

"It's a long story," Riley mutters, which I take to mean he doesn't want to talk about it. But I want to know his story. He looks up at me. "So why did you run away?"

"That's not fair. You haven't answered my question."

"Come on, Valerie, we both know I do most of the talking around here. You're way too protective of yourself."

I want to argue back, but he's telling the truth and I know it. I sit back, leaning against the peeling wall of the old caravan. I like it in here. I wonder how long he'd let me stay.

"I ran away because I'm no longer needed or wanted in that house." I explain to him. "My Dad won't even notice I'm gone, and I know my Mum wants me gone. So, I don't see a reason to be there anymore."

"And where do you plan on going?"

"Well...I didn't exactly have a sturdy plan," I look at him, "Truth is, I want you to help me."

"You want to stay with me?"

"Well, not you..." I look around the caravan, "this is quite a decent place to hang out."

Riley's jaw drops in realisation. "You can't live in here! It's not a proper home. And I could be accused of kidnapping or whatever."

"It will only be temporary." I plead, desperately. I know it's a lot to ask for. I know. But I have nowhere else to go, "not forever. I just need a bit of time away from there. Please, Riley. It would mean a lot to me, and I wouldn't be any trouble."

Riley runs his hands down his face, letting out a sigh of exasperation. "I know you won't be trouble. I just don't like the idea of you out here alone."

"What are you, my mother? I'm seventeen years old, I can handle myself just fine."

"Well...okay, I guess?"

My heartbeat quickens with excitement, as my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "Wait, are you serious? I didn't think that would actually work..."

Riley turns away from me, still visibly uncomfortable, and a small part of me starts to feel bad for him. It's been a long time since I've felt sympathy for anyone.

"Thank you," I say to him, quietly, "Maybe...maybe now we can help each other."

Riley gives me a sad smile. "I don't think there's much you can do for me, to be honest." He gets to his feet. "But I appreciate the thought."

"Where are you going?"

"Not a fan of enclosed places. Hey, don't follow me okay? Just...chill in your new place for a bit. I don't know how comfortable it will be though." He flashes me another small smile, before stepping out of the caravan, without closing the door.

The caravan feels empty once he has left, the comfort of the room leaving with him. It's weird because I want to be alone and at peace sometimes, but at the same time I don't. I fish out a blanket and the snacks from my bag, and wrap myself up tightly, snuggling against the pile of sleeping bags. I have a slight headache, probably from the cold, and consider falling asleep here. But I don't want Riley to come back seeing me that way.