Reaching the entrance to the cafe I stepped inside. The layout was ideal, allowing me to approach the counter without being seen from the inside of the cafe itself. An older woman, of perhaps forty-five years of age, was wiping down the wooden counter with a damp rag, eyes worn and her posture tired. She looked up when I walked in, a gust of wind accompanying my arrival.

There were about half a dozen people in the cafe, and the sound of the rain which was now intensifying added to the soft murmur of conversation drowned out the noise of my arrival. No one payed me any attention, and for that, I was glad.

Pulling back the hood of my cloak I saw her look of surprise. She took in my grey cloak and matching dark robes I wore underneath, hair pinned up loosely under the hood of the cloak.

"Hey there hun, what can I do for ya?" she asked gently, watching me with curiosity.

"The man, over there in the corner" I breathed "What can you tell me about him?"

If the woman was surprised by my question, she didn't show it. Instead her eyes gleamed with what only could be described as understanding, and she smiled, a gesture that took years of her appearance.

"A real loner, that one" she said, leaning in conspiratorially at me and keeping her voice down "He's been staying in the old Crawford place for the past month. The place is pretty much a ruin. I offered him a place to stay here, at the cafe-we rent out the room in the cellar, you see-but he refused. Politely, I can tell ye. A true gentleman, he is...."

I nodded for her to continue.

"People are saying the meanest things about him. Behind his back, of course. That he's some poor beggar. Unemployed. On the run, they say. Since he won't tell, people make up things, ye see? Poor man, looks like he's very sick...." the woman muttered, giving me a stern look.

"I see....." I murmured softly.

She smiled softly.

"Are ye here for him?" she asked curiously "He sure could use a fine-looking lass like yerself in his live..."

I said nothing.

"Could you please sent another pot of coffee to his table. And something to eat. Soup or stew will do" I finally said, before handing the woman some muggle money and turning away from her before she could ask any questions.

Carefully I made my way to the table where Remus was seated. He was looking out the window, completely unaware of his surroundings.

So I sat down in front of him.

"Hey Remus" I said softly as he raised his eyes at the sound of the chair scraping across the hardwood floor as I sat down.

He stilled completely, eyes widening in surprise as he looked at me.

".....Ashlynn"he croaked, voice rough and hoarse as if he hadn't spoken in a long time.

"You look like hell" I told him sincerely.

He still looked shell-shocked that I was even there, but my words had the corners of his mouth tilting upwards.

"What...-what are you doing here?" he finally said, voice gruff as a steely expression came over his eyes.

And the whole speech I'd been planning to tell him, all those things I'd been wanting to say, everything I wanted to explain....it disappeared. Leaving me bare and vulnerable.

"I wanted to talk to you" I finally told him. It was the truth, and yet it was so much more than that.

"There's nothing left to talk about" Remus said slowly, making a move as to stand up.