10: Melancholic Melodies

Start from the beginning

He just stood there listening to her song. It gave him some sort of comfort and warmth. He tried to get closer but he accidentally stepped on a branch. Not a crack from the twig was heard, no. Unfortunately, it was a branch of a screaming tree. The boiling isles is a weird place so of course, that twig had to release a loud, screeching, bloody, scream.

"No no no no shut up-" Hunter whispered loudly as he tried to shush the twig. The branch kept on screaming anyways so he picked it up and yeeted it far away. He turned around after successfully neutralizing the threat only to make eye contact with Y/N with confusion painted on her face.

"Oh uh- Y/N. You're here. I did not hear you- I mean see you there." He laughed awkwardly. 'Darn it, Hunter!'

Y/N's cheeks turned red as she bashfully turned her eyes away from Hunter. "Oh you heard that?! I-I was just messing around. It's just, I got bored and uhh-" The girl stammered.

"No no, You sounded amazing!" Hunter blurted out. He blushed a bit, not wanting to sound over-enthusiastic, and cleared his throat.

"You have a lovely singing voice." he hesitantly said while looking away.

"Thanks." Y/N chuckled. "You're getting better with your compliments. You read that in a book or something?" She teased followed by a smirk.

"Shut up!" He scoffed jokingly. "Now scootch over!" He demanded before sitting down next to Y/N.

______________________________________

Y/N's POV

_______________________________________

You felt a bit flustered as Hunter's arm lightly brushed against yours as he sat beside you. You always felt this way and it was as if it got worse over time.

But your flushed cheeks turned pale upon seeing the state of your friend's arm. It was wounded with bandages barely hanging from it. "Hunter you're bleeding!" You exclaim as you pull his arm towards you.

"Wai- Ow." He flinched.

You scan his arm with a worried look on your face. "How did this happen?"

"I fell off my staff." He answered.

"Again?" You raise an eyebrow. You're a bit skeptical since it was the same excuse he said over and over again.

"Yeah. I even lost it when I fell on my way here." He argued. 'It's technically true this time.' He thought to himself.

"Give me a second." You sigh then proceed to rummage through your bag taking out a vile of healing potion.

"Do you bring potions everywhere you go?" Hunter chuckled.

"You have to be extra prepared when you're friends with an idiot." You say with a blunt tone.

"Well I guess that's tru- wait are you talking about me?" He frowned.

"Maybe? Now drink this!" You hand him the tiny vile of red liquid.

He takes it and takes a sip. His face turns sour when the potion touched his lips and he spits it out. "Ughh! gross! This is awful. Why does it taste like this?" He complained.

"It's a concentrated mix. I tried finding a way to make potions more portable. I find that the big bottles make my bag too bulky." You explained.

Hunter continued to cough while you explained the bitter taste.

"The downside is that it doesn't taste too good." You laugh awkwardly.

"Not good? This tastes like raw pixies. I'd rather bleed to death." He whined.