Chapter 19: The Bill

Padmé's POV

I awoke to rays of sunlight dancing across my face. The blinds on the window were supposed to stop that, but a few strands of light managed to get in, warming my cheek. I sat up, and as I rubbed my eyes, I heard talking. Loud talking that was coming from the living room.

I got out of bed and realized that I was wearing the same clothes as last night. I guess I was so tired I had forgotten to get changed. I yawned, and brushed through my long curls with my fingers, trying to untangle as many knots as I could. Then I patted down the top of my hair, and threw it up into a ponytail. I grabbed the door handle, took a deep breath, and strode into the living room.

As I walked out, I found my head of security, Captain Typho. Ahsoka and Teckla were also there, and they all silenced the minute the door opened. They looked at each other, and then at me. The quiet unsettled me.

"Ahsoka, good to see you," I said, walking over to where Ahsoka was standing in the living room. "Have you caught the criminals who attacked me last night?"

I'd been in this safe house for days, and I'd like to know when I would be able to go home.
"Unfortunately, they escaped the other night before we could catch them. But we are one hundred percent positive they think you're dead," Ahsoka said solemnly.

"Won't they go into hiding now that they have completed their mission?" I asked, frowning.

"Well, not necessarily. They might attack another senator," Ahsoka said.

"Might? Are you saying I faked my death for nothing?" I demanded. I should've seen this coming, but I couldn't help but be surprised.

"No, not for nothing. You have to understand that we did this to protect you. If we caught these two bounty hunters that would've just been a bonus. Our main priority is your safety."Captain Typho said.

"I know, I just wished we could have catched these two thugs," I said, sighing and looking down at the floor.

"Yes, but at least for now you are safe," Ahsoka comforted, placing her hand on my shoulder.
I glanced up. "I am going to be dead forever?"
"No, as soon as the conflict over this bill dies down, you can come out of hiding," Captain Typho said confidently.

"Does Chancellor Palpatine know that I'm alive?" I wondered.

"No one except the people in this room, your security guards, and the jedi council know that you're still alive," Ahsoka said.

That wasn't a lot of people. At least Anakin knew I was alive if he was on Coruscant, and not off on a mission.

Beep, beep, beep.

I watched as Captain Typho took out his holoprojector which was ringing with an incoming call.

"Excuse me for a moment." He apologized, and went into the kitchen to answer the call. Ahsoka, Teckla and I stayed silent as we stood in the living room.

"What? Is he going to be alright?" He paused. "Ok. Thank you for informing me," Typho said quietly from the other room. Something was definitely wrong. "I am afraid I have some bad news." He started as he walked back into the living room.

"What?" Ahsoka and I both spoke at the same time.

"Senator Organa was attacked by two bounty hunters when he was on his way to the senate meeting. They were able to capture the two thugs, and they are now in the police's custody."

"The bad news then?" Ahsoka asked cautiously.

"Senator Organa was severely injured, and is being rushed to the hospital."