Destined

TW: Homophobia

"Good afternoon Father! How's your vacation?", Jay approached me dressed in his usual white polo shirt and black pants with his usual bubbly personality. I just got back from my two months vacation in my hometown, I spent it with my family and revived the fire connection between us. It's been a year since the last time I saw them before my vacation.

"hey Jay, it was wonderful. How about you? How's life here? Are you enjoying?", I asked as I continue to clean the long table we eat at as I just finished eating my afternoon snack. Jay pulled a chair and sit as I organize the things I used.

"It has been pretty amazing. Everyone has been good to me and I feel a lot closer to younger seminarians than me.", I hummed as a reply to him. "Actually Father Jeon, we had a seminar last week and we had an activity where the priests told us what made them be a priest or something like that. I was so amazed by some of them like Father Kim, for example. He used to be part of a gang but at some point he got connected to God and devoted himself to be at His service. What a destiny right?", I looked at him and saw someone full of curiosity and hope. I was like that before.

I took a seat beside him and clasped my hands. I smiled at him and nodded my head. "Really, what a destiny. Then how about you, jay? How did you find yourself be willing to give yourself to God?", I asked him. He moved his seat slightly to right to face me better before explaining cheerfully. I just stare at him as he explain why and how he got here while he move his body to better express himself.

"That's why I came here! I was so moved that I decided to study theology and share His glorious words to everyone and feel the same ecstatic feeling I felt when He and I connected. I practically begged my mom to let me study her as she, and I quote "want you (me) to have a baby" and let her experience be a grandmother. I mean, I have two siblings! They can produce more in order to fill mine if they want!", Jay and I laughed at his story and agreed on to some things. We laughed for a while, still couldn't move on from his funny story. When I somehow finally halted, he asked me a question that is so hard for me to answer.

"How about you Father Jeon? Why did you become a priest?", I moved my vision to the beautiful garden in front of us as I sigh. Am I ready to talk about this to someone else aside from my friends and family? Am I ready to remember it all again? I sighed again and I bet he noticed it as he sat properly, waiting for me expectantly.

"Okay... Well, I actually wanted to be an artist.", I can see how shocked he was based on his facial reaction. I chuckled a bit and moved a bit to face him properly. "If you wanted to be an artist, why did you become a priest?", I smiled at him and patted his shoulder before sitting properly again.

"There's this beautiful person that I loved 27 years ago. I even actually thought that he will be the man I'll marry and share a family with, the person I'll grow old with.", it was visible to him how shocked he was. "A man? You were in love with a man, Father Jeon?"

"Yes I was. Surprising right? How can a gay person be a priest?", he couldn't reply at first but got over it after a few minutes. He then asked me what happened to the point that I went here and not be with him.