twenty-three

Harper

I looked down at Salem as she nudged herself between us, curling up right there, on the floor. I pulled away from him, kneeling down. Completely disregarding the moment we had just shared. Hugging Salem close to my chest, I rubbed her back, "I think she's hungry."

"I don't give a-" he stopped mid sentence, rethinking his next words. Carefully restructuring them, "I'll get the food." he mumbled, brooding himself away into the kitchen to retrieve her food.

I laughed lightly then felt a bit bad, we were having an Ace and Harper moment, like how we used to before and I went and ignored him, letting Salem take my attention.

He came back with a bowl of cat food and another one with water. Setting them down next to us, she leaped out of my arms and busied herself with her meal. He pulled me up, into his embrace.

"I'm sorry I ruined our moment."

"Nah, we've got all the time in the world to make more," he said.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Just have a feeling."

"Do you think this is different from before?" I asked.

He had promised me forever and then we fell apart. That one empty promise led to our downfall. What made this any different?

He shook his head at the doubts I had, "Baby, we were made for each other. Sure, it's been a while, things changed but this, you hear it? The sound of my heartbeat?" I nodded, resting my head against his chest, "It fucking beats for you, only you. It never stopped."

I smiled, "You didn't answer my question."

He rolled his eyes and I could feel the 'I just fucking told you.' "Yes, things are different. I'm better now. I did it for you, for us. I won't mess this up. I swear."

"And if you're wrong?"

"I'm never wrong."

I couldn't help but laugh, "You're probably getting bored of me and my doubts."

"Reassurance is key, remember?"

"Yeah."

"Do you trust me now?" he asked.

"I think so, yes."

"What's stopping you?"

I thought back to the day I began to trust him and the night he broke my heart.

"I don't fucking love you." That's what he said to me. I gave my heart to him and he shattered it to pieces.

"You told me you didn't love me," My voice was quieter now.

"And I told you it was a fucking lie."

"Was it really?"

Thinking back to that night made my chest ache. It hurt way too much yet I found myself doing it often. I would never forget. The coldness in his tone. His stoic expression on his face. His heartless facade. The look in his eyes as he watched me fall apart.

Forgive but don't forget right? That's what I was taught.

"I had to."

"You didn't."

"In that moment. I needed you to hate me so yes, I did. I wasn't the guy you should've loved back then. I was the reason for all the bad things in your life. I've hurt you more than I've made you happy. You deserved better."

"That's where you were wrong. I was happy. So fucking happy and you just," I couldn't even finish my sentence. A quiet sob racked my body.

He cursed under his breath, holding me tightly in his embrace. I've been holding everything in for so long, it felt good to just let go. "I know baby, I'm sorry." he whispered, placing kisses on the side of my head, over and over again. It almost made everything better, almost. Not really. But it felt nice. Like home.