twenty-one

Harper

Me and you by Lil peep played as we drove through the city. A comfortable feeling surrounded us. It was just like before. It felt like home. I often found myself thinking of us before it all happened. Back then, we were just two kids. We were adults now, living different lives. And yet, not much has changed. We came home like nothing happened.

Home.

I found it again and I would hold on to it—to him for as long as the universe permitted me to. The rest was uncertain. Undefined. It would remain unwritten.

We stopped by his place as he needed to get changed. He was still wearing the suit from yesterday.

I waited in the car while he went inside.

I remembered the first time I sat in his car. The awkward silence between us. The old feelings still lingered in the air even after my memories of him got lost in time. I had never anticipated that the night we met at that creepy bridge would lead us to where we were now.

I didn't think a love story so beautiful yet heart shattering could've been written out for us. That the dumb conversations, passionate kisses, heated arguments came to an end.

We went from blossoming a friendship to two fools in love to two people who were drawn together by fate but separated by time.

I found myself sitting alone with the memories.

"You've never had sushi before?" I asked him.

"No."

"We're going later," I said more than asked.

~~

I immediately opened the door and stepped out, slamming it shut behind me. I walked away from him, the rainfall pouring down on me. I crossed my arms over my chest, attempting to shield myself from the harsh wind.He was calling after me, I didn't look back.

"Don't fucking walk away from me."

I shook my head in disbelief.

The nerve he has!

Before I knew it, I was pulled into his embrace, trapped under his gaze. His heart was beating fast, like mine.

~~

"For you M'lady."

"You're fucking beautiful."

"You're my world, Harper."

"I don't know if you remember..."

"I'm here baby, just breathe."

~~

The voices and faint laughs grew louder and louder around me. It was too loud. And yet, I wanted to go back.

Those were the moments I missed. The peaceful ones, when I was truly happy. All the times I didn't think about what would happen next, simply living in the moment. With him.

So being with him, after the years went by, it meant a great deal to me. I still caught myself drifting back to the past, not to dwell but to look back at all the times he'd made me smile, made my heart burst. Made the cage butterflies open in my chest.

I felt like I let the bad memories overlook the good ones and I was starting to let them get to me. That's the way it was, the good memories were the ones that got left behind.

I knew I could trust him. Despite that he had hurt me deeply, he always apologized and made up for it. I couldn't forget that.

He wasn't the villain in my story, he wasn't the devil of my past, he wasn't a ghost that haunted me, he was Ace. The man I fell in love with. With the beauty of the moon and a heart as big as the ocean, he wasn't bad at all.