CHAPTER 4

The sky was the brightest and was accompanied by gentle winds. Surrounded by the shades of the tree, my best friend started to talk about her memories.

"My parents were nobles," Trix explained as she closed her eyes, "and we lived in a small mansion with two servants."

"Woah, you're lucky..."

"That's what people told us every day."

"But why did they live in a small mansion?" I curiously asked, "I thought rich people lived in big houses."
She smiled, "My parents were commoners at first before their deals succeeded. So, they wanted to keep their house small."
"That's relatable," I silently cast the flower spell while looking at the bridge, "it will be easier to clean if there is less space after all."

"You're speaking as if you've had experience with it; do you despise our cleaning duties that much?"

"Y-yeah, you can say it like that."

I picked a flower while answering her sudden question, "Don't tell Matron."
Too late; my best friend already has an evil smirk on her face. My mind is racing with my heartbeat; I need to plan something!

Can I shut her mouth with my lips?

Of course not.

What else can I do?! Oh right, she still has to tell me more about her parents!

Quick! Ask the question!

"Trix... What happened to your parents?"

That's not what I wanted to know!

Suddenly, I heard something like a bell chiming beside me.

"Geez... Why are you so eager to learn about me?"

"Because... It's you..." I mumbled while avoiding her gaze.

"Did you say something?"

"Nothing..."

Trix smiled and continued, "My parents died because of the robbery. The only ones who survived are one of the servants and me."

"Oh... I..."

My mouth stopped when a finger touched it.

"Sst... You better keep that for people who need it."

"But..."

Trix was still keeping her finger on me, so I answered her.

"Okay. I won't say it."

My best friend released her finger, "Good. Because, I don't want to hear it from you."
Slowly, both of her hands touched my cheeks softly. It's dangerously warm for me, yet I can't push her away.

She closed her eyes while closing the gap between us. Being scared of what will happen to us, I also closed my eyes. Unexpectedly, there were chuckles in front of me. Curious where the sound comes from, I'm peeking with one eye.

Trix looked at me with a grin on her face.

"Why do you close your eyes, hmm?"

My eyes fully open and blood rushing to my head, I distance myself from her. Panicked that she knows my feelings about her, my hands are making a flower crown from the flowers I grew with magic.
"Don't mind me," I responded with all my might, "I just lost myself in the moment..."

"Your eyes aren't looking at me," Trix is looking at me suspiciously and asking, "Are you in love with me?"
My heart stops beating. I hide my face behind the flower crown. The train in my head ran fast before the two-path rail emerged in front of it. In the end, it chose the path of lies and excuses.

"W-What are you talking about?" I'm trying not to bite my tongue when I say, "I only love you as my best friend. Aren't you the one who was messing around?!"
After saying that, my best friend laughed again. It's rare to see her laughing freely in a day, yet it seems today is a lucky day for me.

"Ahahaha... Sorry, you're so red that I wanted to tease you more."

That still hasn't made me happy, "Hmmph, is that so?"
I'm making a flower crown again to relieve myself. It becomes quite calm and quiet. Trix didn't say anything. Yet, I can feel her staring through my back.

Because of that, my focus gradually crumbled into tiny bits. I put one of the flower crowns on top of her head and leaned over her shoulder. Trix tried to protest, but she gave up after seeing me with no intention to leave. She mumbles something silently.

"Trix, did you say something?"

She only smiles and strokes my hair gently.
"Sleep well, Viona. I will wake you up later," she said to me with a soothing voice.

Then, my eyes feel drowsy, and everything goes black before I know it.