CHAPTER 6

Calm down, Viona. You already expected this before using this spell.

I calmed down a bit and cast the spell of cleanliness. Instantly, things that were tainted with red, are in the same state as previously. No blood was ever seen again, except in my mouth. I wiped the blood from my face and left before anyone saw me.

When walking back to my room, I was lost in my thoughts. The turn-back time spell was unbelievably real. Everything is like a dream and an illusion. Fortunately, that vomit was painful, so I can rest assured that this is my reality.

I have to wake up now.

My time is running out, and tomorrow will come in several hours. The book described how my memories may fade if the same incident doesn't change.

Thank goodness, I still remember the details of what will occur on my birthday.

All of it was from the detective that investigated the incident. They were kind enough to inform me after the incident. Sadly, it lacks evidence so I need to find more of it. To do that, the source of the fire will be my priority tonight.

I tiptoed quietly in the hallway. No one is here, but I still need to be careful, as some children have more sensitive ears. When I arrived at the supposed fire location, I looked inside cautiously.

It's so dark there, my eyes can't see anything-

"Do you mind explaining why you are still up, dear Viona?"

Miles!

I turned my back with nervousness and said, "Oh, good evening, Matron... I didn't notice you there."
"Good evening," Matron said, her gray eyes widening, "it's almost midnight. Are you having trouble with sleep, my child?"
"Yes-Yes," I replied shyly, "my birthday is tomorrow, and I was wondering where it would be."
"I see..." Her eyes stared at my hands.

"It seems that you have already eaten dinner. May I have your dishes?"

I gave it to her hand that didn't hold the lantern and said, "Thank you, Madame."
"Go back to sleep now. Your birthday will be in the afternoon, and I need you to do groceries for dinner before that," Matron said with a stern tone, "oh. Please come to my office at a quarter to six, Viona."

Hearing that, my heartbeat became fast.

There's a change in this timeline.

It's my last chance to stop the culprit before they commit their crimes.

If that happens, everyone still has their future!

"I understand, Madame. I'm not going to forget to do the groceries tomorrow!" I exclaimed, "Good night!"

###

I ran off to my room with a heart full of flowers. My feet stopped running after I saw my door open. Trix stepped out and slightly opened her mouth, but I had already leaped to hug her.

As usual, she catches me and puts me down on the floor. Because I still have not released her, my best friend brings me in while we are cuddling. After closing the door, Trix sits down on the bed and lays me on her lap.
"Why are you so late?" she whispered while resting her head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," I said, looking into her eyes.

"I met Matron on the way here."

"Oh, that's why..." Trix said as she lowered me to the bed.
Her hand held mine as she continued, "Thank you for informing me,"

"Thank you for worrying about me too, Trix."

We're sitting on the bed without looking at each other. The clock was still ticking, and it made me wonder why I didn't feel sleepy at all. Yet, Trix thinks otherwise. Slowly, she forces me to lie down with her. After establishing her side of the bed, my best friend gazes at me with gentle eyes.

The clock strikes midnight; it's my birthday now.

With a smile, Trix caressed my face softly while struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Happy birthday, Viona. May you have the future-"

My heart almost jumped out.

"Trix, how did you-"

I stopped my question when her little slumbering sound reached my ears. Realizing that my best friend had succumbed to deep sleep, I closed the distance between us.

How cute...

My hand stroked her hair carefully;

She was already asleep before finishing her sentences.

Wishing her a good night, I kissed her forehead and whispered near her ear.

"Thank you for your wish, Trix. I hope you're in my future too.

I want you to be anything—except for one thing in the future.

The pain comes back again. I clutched my chest quietly; my heart kept beating fast as if it would burst if I fell asleep. Keeping the secret for myself, I hastily escape to my dreams and pray in my sleep.

Perhaps today is not the last time for everyone...