Part 5

When I finished, I finally looked at the book. On the cover, in a child's handwriting, was written "My Life". When I recognized the handwriting, my blood ran cold. This book must have everything that the forest represented, and apparently, guarded. I tried to take the book from my friend's hand, but he moved it out of my reach too quickly.

Slowly, he opened the book. I was too distraught to stop him. With a red pen, he appeared to write many things on every page of the book. When he finished, he closed the book, and on the cover he made one more addition. And then he handed the book to me. Astonished, I took it in my hands and looked at the cover. It took me a moment to realize that it was not an addition, but an edition. My hand flew to my mouth in surprise. In the bright red ink, the word "my" was crossed out and above it was written "our". The title now read, "Our Life". I quickly opened the book and flipped through the pages. Every time the word "I" showed up, my friend changed it so that it read, "we, us, our". Instead of the book being in my point of view, he had changed it to be our point of view.

I thought I had cried all my tears already, but my eyesight was blurred once again. He took me in his arms, and held me close. With his voice deep and soothing, he said, "You were never alone. I have always been with you." He comforted me until I fell asleep.

I often go to my special room. The contents of the room are changing all the time, but somethings never change. The room is white, with two black chairs that face each other, and only one door. It is the entrance and the exit, but it also brings someone I have known all my life. I share everything with him. We know each other better than anyone else. He is my light, and he keeps me from falling into that darkness that I once almost gave into. He is always with me.