I've Just Seen a Face: Chapter Two

Time: 7:15 a.m.
Michael P. Jagger High

Well, the trip from home to school didn't take as long as I thought it would. After parking my bike outside the school, I took a walk along the school grounds, and already I can see the various types of students present in the school: the jocks, the bookworms, the "it" girls, the ladies' men, the gossipers... and the outcasts. Oh boy. Guess I'm about to become one of "them", but who knows? I don't think anyone would want to become friends with a new face like me. Well, whatever. Better carry on. I entered the school and walked down the hallway. As soon as I entered, I felt like all eyes were on me. I knew it. When suddenly...

"Hey!"

A voice called out. I turned around to see who it was, and then he materialized: a teenager, roughly the same age as me, with a shaggy haircut and black pants and jacket. He was panting, looks like he'd been running.

"Nice jacket, man," the stranger said. "Thanks," I replied.

"Let me guess, are you with the family who moved in our neighborhood couple of weeks ago?"

"Yes, I am. How'd you know?"

"We live down the street from you, saw you move in," he said with a smile and extending his hand. "Name's Paul. Paul McCartney."

"James." I smiled as well and shook his hand.

"So, where you going to?" Paul asked.

"Oh, to the lockers. I'm just going to put my stuff there and go to my first class."

"Math?"

"How'd you know?!"

"Dude, we have the same schedule!"

"Sweet! Alright, I'll just put my stuff in the locker."

"Sure thing, and then-- Whoa..." Paul said as I was opening my locker and putting my stuff in.

"What do you mean 'whoa'--" I looked over at Paul who was frozen, trying to snap him put of his trance, when suddenly, there was this girl walking by. She had bright orange hair with bangs, a checkered shirt, olive green pants, and a pair of what looked like Vans sneakers. She turned around in my direction, and we made eye contact for a few seconds. I had to turn away just so I don't freeze! When I looked back, she smiled a cute smile.

"Whoa..." was all I managed to say, until I looked away again and turned to Paul.

"Uh... Paul...? I guess we'd better go to the class..." I muttered.

"Right you are..." Paul replied. I looked at my watch: 7:40 a.m. Paul and I went to our Math class, him sitting on my left side. I took out my notebook and tried to write something, a poem or a song lyric perhaps, but all I could think of was... That girl. Everything about her. Her face, her smile, her bright orange hair... AGHH! Focus, James, focus! I set my pen down again to try to write when, right on cue, the door opened, and... The girl entered. Holy cow. I gulped and pretended to write but nothing ever came out. I finally gave up and turned to Paul.

"Paul! Oi, Paul!!" I whispered.

"Eh?"

"Who's that girl?" I gestured to the girl who... Sat on my right. OH. NO.

His eyes widened.

"She's..." He was interrupted by the bell, signifying that our first class is about to begin. Here we go.

Word count: 566 words