𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐀

Most of my missions were either alone or with the Serpent Hashira, Iguro Obanai

Shadow and Serpent breathing is very compatible, plus, he and I worked well together. Personally, I think he enjoyed my company because I know Mitsuri best. But other than her, we didn't talk about much. It was strictly business.

A week or so went by, when my crow finally sent me on a mission with him.

He and I met up at a nearby village, and get the situation under control. Since it was morning, we walked back to Head quarters to conserve some of our energy.

"Have you talked to Mitsuri recently?" Obanai asked me, just like he always did.

"Yeah, actually! We had a nice time at the spring last week."

"Hm, did she tell you anything new?" He asked.

He seemed to get all of his information from me. Then he'd be able to surprise Mitsuri with the stuff I'd tell him and make things extra special.

"Well, nothing about her this time...Sorry Iguro." I said, my mind thinking about that day in the spring. It reminded me of the dream I had had, and how tragic the story of Sanemi that Mitsuri had told me was.

"Actually, I need some advice...from you this time." I said to Obanai.

He looked up at me, a slight surprise in his eyes.

I always listened and heard about all the sweet moments between the Serpent and Love Pillar, and it made me kind of jealous on the inside. I wanted to feel something like what they had.

Seeing Iguro talk about Mitsuri, and vis versa, was so beautiful, especially in a time like today, that was so dark.

Why was the only person that came to mind Sanemi? I didn't feel those butterflies. I didn't feel love or giddiness for him like I thought I should. Yet, something about him lured me in.

"What is it?" Iguro asked, almost as if he was excited to hear what I had to say.

"I don't really know how to say this, but I think I may...have a crush on Sanemi..."

I couldn't believe I had just said that to someone else. I trusted Mitsuri with my feelings, but I knew Obanai was friends with Sanemi. Maybe he knew something I didn't.

"I thought you hated him?" Iguro asked.

"I thought I did too. But he isn't as bad of a guy as I thought he was." I confessed.

"Well, have you tried talking to him?"

"Ugh, yes. Last time I did, we yelled at each other because I got in his business. I was going to go apologize, but I don't have the guts to yet." I explained.

"So what advice do you want?" Iguro asked.

I thought about his question, because truly I didn't know.

I took a deep breath.

"Am I stupid...for wanting something with him?" I whimpered. I felt like we had such more important things to worry about than this, but my heart craved that attention from someone.

Especially from someone as broken as Sanemi. Deep in my heart, I think I wanted to be the one to make him feel better.

"Ha, you're not stupid, (Y/n). We're only human." He reassured me.

I believe him the most, because he had the same want to be loved by someone too.

"Thanks, Iguro."

He nodded in response. Obanai was always misunderstood in my opinion. Maybe he just had more patience with me because I helped him out all the time, since he could tend to be irritable here and there.

"So do you know what Shinazugawa likes?" I asked.

"Hm...He likes ohagi, I believe...We may be friends, but sadly I don't know too much about him, besides that he hates demons." He explained.

"Understandable..."

Ohagi huh? How cute... I thought, giggling in my head.

"He also hangs out at that restaurant on the corner of the village closest to head quarters...Do you know where I'm talking about? I believe it's the only restaurant in that town." He mentioned as well.

"Oh, yes! I think I know..." I said, jogging my memories.

"Do you want me to talk to him?" Iguro asked. But the thought of that mortified me. I didn't want Sanemi to know I was talking about him.

"No no! Don't worry about it!" I said to Iguro, blushing. "I'll figure something out."

He simply nodded as we continued to walk side by side.

"Thank you, again." I said after a moment of silence.

"Anytime. I consider you my friend too, (y/n)." The Serpent Hashira told me.

I gave him a gentle smile. His words were comforting, unlike how he generally was amongst the other Hashira.

That got me thinking: what was Sanemi like when he didn't have to be all tough in mighty? I was always so focus on the front he put up, when all of us were just like him. We put on brave faces, knowing our lives are always constantly in danger.

Deep inside, I knew I wanted just one thing: to know the real Sanemi...