twenty-two

𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲:we miss you

𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲:
we miss you.

"I know someone," admitted Lizzie, glancing at Linda.

Margaret had never thought of divorcing Thomas, even after the Wall Street crash or the recurrent threats toward their family. She knew what she was getting into. Plus, they had vowed until death did them apart. Then, Linda kept trying to put all these ideas in Maggie's head, and sometimes late at night, she'd found herself thinking about it. Guilt would creep in her stomach as soon as she faced her husband, and she mentally cussed at Linda for putting these absurd ideas because Margaret loved Tommy, she loved him.

And, besides Maggie didn't get why she would want to divorce Arthur, sure he had his flaws but he was good man. At least, he was a good one with her. His drug addiction and his need to drown himself into alcohol didn't help, so she could kind of understand why, but never she thought Linda would go that far.

"If you want to divorce a Shelby, you'll have to go to London," added the dark haired woman, sipping on her tea.

Margaret let out a silly laugh, "I don't even know how we got to this conversation."

Linda seemed shocked by this sudden answer, "Maggie, you agreed..."

"No, no," she answered rapidly as she started pacing around the living room. "You...you...you put all these thoughts in my head! I didn't even have them before you came over and said those things out loud."

Linda scoffed, "It's because you realised that you didn't love Tom, or that it was dangerous loving him."

No, she's a liar, thought Margaret.

Liar. Liar. Liar.

"I love Tom, I'm certain of this," argued Margaret, looking Linda right in the eyes. "You made me think that loving him was a bad thing—when it's the total opposite. He loves me and I love him."

"Don't be stupid, Maggie," Linda exclaimed, putting her cup of tea down. "You're acting as ridiculous as them," she added.

Margaret breathed out, "Shut up, alright? I want you out, Linda."

"But—"

"Out!"

It took ten minutes to throw her out of the house, ten long minutes where Linda kept babbling about the whole thing. Margaret would be damed if Thomas ever heard of this conversation, words tended to get around the house rapidly and she definitely didn't want her husband to overhear it. Lizzie had stayed in the living room, clearly unfazed by the whole scene and had finished her tea when Maggie made her way back to the living room.

"I should have pointed my gun at her fucking head," Margaret muttered as Lizzie laughed. "It would have been much easier, right?"

"Come on, Mag. Let's go get the boys, eh? They must be lonely upstairs," she rose on her feet as Margaret followed.