The Showcase

3-2-2022: I got way too ahead of myself with writing that I didn't type up any of the chapters each day like I should have, and now I have so many to type up and for some reason I'm not looking forward to it lol. Anywho- enjoy the chapter:)

Rylie's phone buzzes and I jump, startled out of the little world my book had me in.

"Sorry!" She laughs before answering it. "Spencer, hey!" I raise my eyebrows and she shrugs as she listens to Spencer talk. "Mm-hm. That works, actually. Yeah, we've got time. Great! See you then, bye."

"Everything okay?"

"Great, actually. How fast can you be ready to go?"

"Uh... go where?"

"To lunch with Spencer. Remember how I'd been wanting to talk to him?"

"Yes..."

"Well he's got time in an hour. Don't worry," She says as I open my mouth. "I told him we have to leave by 3:00pm."

"Well okay, then. I'll be ready in five!" I say before hopping up to change.

It was Wednesday, the day of my showcase, and I was beyond nervous. Rylie assured me that I had no reason to be nervous, but I hadn't shown her the pictures so she wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I had loved how the pictures had turned out, but it was always terrifying showing other people. Especially if it was your first time showing a big group of strangers.

I finish getting ready quickly and meet Rylie back in the kitchen, and we head out the door. Spencer was apparently already in town for a work meeting, so the drive to him is quick.

"Ah, two of my favorite girls!" He says as we hop out of the car.

"Hi Spencer." I smile, letting him pull me into a hug after he hugs Rylie. We head into the restaurant and quickly order, making small talk until our food arrives. Even then, as we eat, Rylie doesn't bring the topic up. I nudge her foot under the table and she shoots me a glar. Only when our food is almost gone does she finally bring it up.

"So, Spencer..."

"Rylie..." He says warily.

"Have you talked to mom lately?"

"Oh, boy." Spencer blows out a breath before setting his fork down and leaning back with his arms crossed. "No. Why?"

"You know she had the baby, right?"

"Yes. Dad told me."

"Are you going to meet her soon?" Rylie asks hesitantly.

"Why should I?" Spencer scoffs.

"Because she's your sister, Spence."

"Half sister. Half of her belongs to Dillon, and the other half belongs to a mother who left us."

"That's not her fault, Spencer. You can blame mom all you want, but don't blame the baby. She's got the same mom as we do. Why won't you give her a chance?"

"Let me guess, you want me to forgive mom, too?"

"No. I just want you to meet your baby sister. She deserves to know all of her older brothers." Rylie pleads.

"Wait, she's met the triplets?" Spencer's eyes widen and Rylie nods nervously. "Of course. Mom doesn't want to seem like the bad guy."

"Spencer..."

"Ry, stop. Listen," He says, running his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry, I'm just frustrated. It's not that I don't want to meet Harper, I just need time. I don't want to be angry and frustrated when I meet our sister."