Raising Cane's

Raising Cane's was scarce in North Carolina. Cookout was definitely more popular, and closer, but sometimes Cane's was worth the drive. It was a bit out of the way, but I didn't mind the drive, especially when Rylie was with me.

We'd switched seats so I was driving, and she sat beside me choosing the songs. It turns out that Rylie and I had basically the same music taste. We both knew some of the same things, but a lot of different songs and artists. We always ended up loving each others music. Well, there were a few exceptions but we agreed not to talk about those. We were both a little sensitive sometimes.

The drive through is busy, but we're not surprised. It always moved quickly anyway.

"Should we stop by the store on the way home?" Rylie asks.

"Sure! I've got the grocery list on my phone, too."

"Perfect. Kylie and Benny want to do something next week, and I was thinking of dinner and maybe games. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, sounds fun!" I reply with a smile.

Kylie and Benny were two of our new friends here. They were a little older than us, but we got along great. Cassie had introduced us at one of her fancy dinner parties back in November.

"You know, we're probably not going to see much of them once they have the twins."

"Or," I say with a grin. "We could see more of them and become the babies' godmothers."

"That's not a bad idea." Rylie laughs. She knew how much I loved babies. And the thought of twins? Precious.

We finally reach the window and I order each of us a box. Boxes come with four chicken tenders, fries and a piece of toasted bread.

"Ooh, don't forget the extra sauce!" Rylie says, squeezing my arm.

"And can I get two extra sauce cups in place of the coleslaw?" I ask the worker.

"You bet. Is that it?"

"And Dr. Pepper for the drinks with light ice, please."

"Got it." The worker tells me the total and I hand him some cash before pulling forward. Another worker hands me our food, and I pass it over to Rylie, laughing at the excitement on her face.

I pull into a nearby parking spot and turn off the car but leave the music playing. "This is so good." Rylie says, practically moaning. "Why don't we come here more often?"

"Because it's nearly two hours away from our apartment." I laugh and take a sip of my drink. Rylie laughs when I moan. "Okay, listen. Dr. Pepper just hits different after a few bites of this food!" I explain.

"No, I agree! I just remember one time you said only you were allowed to make me moan, and now I'm considering saying the same thing for you." Rylie laughs. "It's ridiculous that I'm jealous over a drink making you moan."

I quickly swallow before laughing but end up coughing, and Rylie pats my back. "I did say that once, didn't I? What was it about... banana pudding? Ice cream?"

"It was custard. Salted Caramel custard, to be exact. The same day we met Savannah, Rachel and their cousins."

I stare at Rylie with my mouth slightly open. "Wow, okay. So you really remember that." I laugh.

"I remember everything, Aspen. Especially when it comes to moaning." I laugh again at her words and kiss her quickly.

"Careful, you're playing a dangerous game in the parking lot of raising cane's."

"I guess I'll hold off until we're home, then." Rylie laughs before taking another bite of her food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~