I could feel the flush creep up on my face and I directed my gaze to the uninterested ivory curtain to avoid his gaze. I ignored his question and instead paid interest to the papers on his lap.

"What is that?"

Alexander's eyes lit up at my question. "Pack work. I have to look over these files every few days to make sure everything is running smoothly."

I nodded my head uninterestedly. I had only asked to divert the embarrassment that I felt.

"Do you want to take a look?" he asked, hopeful. "It would be a good start as the Luna."

His words quickly dampened my mood, and I glared at him hard. His gaze was on the papers, unaffected by his own question. The seriousness on his face told me he wasn't joking about what he had said.

But before I could even argue with him, a loud knock on the door shook me out of my daze and I turned to see who had interrupted.

Dyami popped his head through, causing Alexander's head to lift at his appearance.

"What is it?"

"Wolves." The dark haired boy narrowed his eyes at me briefly before turning his gaze back on the Alpha.

"Three Wolves from Pale Moon have trespassed. We have them captured."

Alexander rose from the chair and dumped the papers. "What! Why did you not tell me sooner?"

Dyami bowed his head slightly. "I tried to mind link you but you had me shut out."

He spared me a dirty glance, before turning his gaze away. I rolled my eyes. He was definitely annoying.

"I see," Alexander replied. "Did anything happen that I should be aware of?"

"One of our recently turned pups was hurt, but other than that, everyone else are alright."

Alexander growled lowly at the latter boy's words. "I understand. I will be with you shortly."

He dismissed the boy and stalked towards me, until he was right in front of me.

"I know you are not ecstatic about being here, but you need to listen to me right now."

When I didn't respond, he continued.

"Wolves trespassing my land means they are a possible threat. I cannot and I will not let you be in a position where you could get hurt."

I hated his words. I hated that he sounded like he actually cared about me. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I wasn't sure how the whole mate stuff worked, but I could feel his genuine concern.

My Wolf warmed up to him and I wanted to embrace my mate, but I held myself back.

"You will stay here until I get back, Lyra," he finally said, eyeing me carefully. "I have just found you and cannot risk losing you already."

His corny words stirred something inside of me. "Will I be safe here?"

He nodded. "I would not leave you here if I did not deem it safe."

I chewed on my bottom lip and remained quiet after that. I knew Wolves from my pack wouldn't hurt me, but I was nervous about returning to Gabriel.

As much as I wanted to hate Alexander, staying here and formulating a plan to escape eventually was far better than returning to Gabriel. I felt miserable with him.

"We will talk when I get back. There is a lot you want to hear from my side and I also want to know more about your relationship with that loser."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at his nickname for Gabriel. But nevertheless, didn't respond.

Alexander cupped my face in his hand, tilting my head so I was looking directly at him. I hated how at his touch, I became completely paralysed, forgetting every negative thought that I had related to him.

"I want you to know that you are safe here," he murmured, his eyes examining mine. "You are not the enemy, you never will be. The pack will love you as their Luna."

I didn't want that, but arguing with him right now was pointless. So I remained quiet, yet again.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to say. His close proximity made it hard for me to be sarcastic or angry, I was left wanting him to stay and embrace me.

It concerned my Wolf that her mate was attending to Wolves that could be dangerous. She wanted to protect him, making me feel frustrated.

"Wait for me. I will return to you," Alexander promised, rubbing his thumb over my cheek.

With a quick peck on my lips, my mate was out of the door, leaving me gasping for air and electrical currents spiralling down my body.