27. the best cupcakes

paranoia.
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN
˖⋆࿐

After the brief moment Corpse and Rory shared, the two of them fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms. Moose had pushed her way into the room and jumped on the bed, ruining the moment as the two began to laugh at the dog. Corpse felt it wasn't the right time to kiss Rory so he ended up just gently stroking her hair as she snuggled closer to him, her eyelids growing heavier and heavier.

     The two of them stayed like that until Corpse watched Rory fall into a deep sleep. Corpse often found it hard to sleep and did consider getting up and going back to his room, but he didn't want to disturb the sleeping Rory. Instead, he stayed there with Rory's head resting on his chest as he surprisingly found himself dozing off. He tried to fight it but before he knew it, he had also fallen into a deep sleep for the first time in a long time. It was something about being in close proximity to Rory that it just made everything feel so easy and safe. For him, she was his relief.

     Rory woke up a few hours later and smiled as she saw Corpse was fast asleep. Her heart fluttered at the peaceful sight and she thought back to what he had said to her before they closed their eyes. She knew they still needed to talk about it but just hearing those words escape from his mouth was enough to make chills soar through her body. It was all she needed to hear in that moment.

     Rory didn't want to wake Corpse up as she knew he often had trouble sleeping at night so she carefully pulled herself away from his embrace before placing her blanket over him. She quietly tiptoed out of the room and closed the door behind her before wandering to the kitchen to find something to eat. She ended up making a sandwich and decided to watch a few episodes of Modern Family on her laptop, keeping the volume low so she wouldn't wake Corpse up.

     After a few hours of this, Rory grew bored of sitting around at the kitchen table and began looking around the room at something she could do. She started sifting through the cupboards until she saw something that caught her attention. There was a small tub of cupcake cases and Rory grew excited as she grabbed them and began searching through all the cupboards for the ingredients she needed. It didn't take her long to find everything and get a recipe up on her phone that she began to follow step by step.

Corpse was still asleep in the next room, but he slowly began to wake up as he heard muffled noises and a few words coming from the kitchen. As he woke up, he was confused at first seeing as he wasn't in his own bed, but as the memories came flooding back to him he smiled to himself, stretching as he sat up in the bed. He was slightly disappointed that Rory was no longer beside him and he wasn't sure how long he'd been on his own for, but the fact he had managed to sleep for as long as he had made up for it.

"Ow!" Corpse heard being yelled from behind the closed door. "Shit, fuck, shit!" the voice continued. Corpse laughed to himself as he tried to think of what it was that Rory could possibly be doing that would make her react that way. He decided to go and find out for himself so he stood up from the bed and walked out of Rory's room expecting to see Rory straight away. His brows furrowed as he didn't see her at first but he could still hear her muttering to herself from somewhere in the kitchen.

"Uh, Rory?" Corpse asked, unsure where she was or what she was doing. The muttering abruptly stopped followed by a loud bang as Rory tried to stand up from where she had been crouched down but hit her head on the open drawer above her.

"Ow! Fuck!" Rory whimpered as she stood up, rubbing the back of her head. Corpse was watching her with an amused expression as her dark hair looked to be dipped in flour. In fact, it looked as if the whole kitchen was covered in flour along with Rory.