Chapter 7: Welcome to...Hogwarts!

It is nighttime at Hogsmeade station, the train blows its whistle and pulls into outside the station. Hagrid walked along the side aisle, with a lantern. Students, in their robes, begin pouring out of the train. Hagrid yells out, "Right, then! First years! This way, please! Come on, now, don't be shy! Come on now, hurry up!" Harry, Ron and Thomas, now in their robes, walk out of the train, and up to Hagrid, "Hello, Harry and Thomas." Hagrid greets. 

"Hey, Hagrid." Thomas and Harry both say. Ron looks back in front of him to see Hagrid, surprised by his size, he says, "Whoaa!" 

Hagrid ignored Ron and gathered all the students, "Right then. This way to the boats! Come on, now, follow me."

Thomas pov,

Later, we were told to go into separate groups. I went with Harry and Ron. After we were sorted into our own groups, each of the groups got into their own boats. Later, a large number of boats are plugging across a vast lake, each having about 4 students. Up ahead, we all saw a large castle. Everyone was in awe, "Wicked." Ron commented. He was right. This really is wicked.

We continued on further towards the castle. Later on, all of the first year students walked in the castle, and up the staircase. On the higher level, an old lady, who I assume was a teacher was waiting. Me, Harry, Ron, and Hermione stood next to each other. She tapped her fingers on a stone railing, and we then went to the top of the stairs as she greeted all us newcomers, she then started to explain. 

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup." she explained. I noticed something by the woman's feet. Was that a...toad?

Suddenly, a scared looking boy, spotted the toad sitting near McGonagall. He jumped forward. "Trevor!" He exclaimed, the toad must've been his. He caught his toad as McGonagall just stared down at him as some of the students laughed. "Sorry." the boy apologized. The teacher sighed, "The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She then left to go into the Great Hall. 

A young evil looking boy, with short blonde hair then walked in front of us and spoke up, I knew these type of people from anywhere "It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter and Thomas Jacobs has come to Hogwarts." Some of the students I heard whisper, "Harry Potter?" Draco introduced his two friends, "This is Crabbe and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy." Ron snickered at his name, Draco did not take that too kindly, "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. Well, soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He extended his hand, expecting Harry to shake it, but I'm not gonna take this kid's arrogance. I stepped in front of Harry and moved Draco's arm away, "I think we can tell who the wrong sort are for ourselves, thanks." Draco glared at Harry and me. McGonagall then returned just in time and tapped Draco on the shoulder with a paper. He left Harry and I with one last glare. 

The teacher spoke up, "We're ready for you now. Follow me."

She led us all through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there were four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. The roof looked like the sky. LITERALLY!! I stared in awe. "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Hermione informed me. She just HAD to tell me that, didn't she? McGonagall led all us first-years to the front where an old witches hat laid on the stool, that must've been The Sorting Hat I read about in my mother's book. The teacher continued speaking, "Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." On the long, main table of the Great Hall, there were multiple teachers, and in the center, was Dumbledore, who stood up, ready to speak.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch." The four of us look behind us to see a ragged old man, who must've been Mr. Argus Filch, he held a cat with red eyes, that I guess was his, he continued, while I was thinking this, "has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." Dumbledore sat back down.

The teacher then went up to the stool and lifted the hat as she read from a list and continued, "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." Most of the students looked at her as she was just next to me, she said to herself, "Oh, no. Okay, relax." she said as she went up to sit on the stool and get sorted by the Sorting Hat. "Mental that one, I'm telling you." Ron snickered, Harry nodded in agreement, I just rolled my eye and crossed my arms. I noticed one of the teachers that were sitting by the table just stared at me and Harry, suddenly I heard the voice again, Danger...Death... He'll come for you. I flick my head with my finger and watch as Hermione was sorted into her house. Hermione sat on the stool as McGonagall placed the sorting hat on her head.

The Sorting Hat then spoke, "Ah, right then...hmm...right. Okay...Gryffindor!!" He, or it...or was it a she? I'll just call him a 'he'. The students cheer at the Gryffindor table as Hermione jumps off the stool with a smile. 

The teacher called out the next name, "Draco Malfoy." Draco sauntered up proudly. The tattered hat nearly freaks before touching down on Draco's head and he said, "SLYTHERIN!" I could tell there was no better place for that spoiled brat. The students cheered, but not as loudly. "There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin." Ron said. 

The teacher called out the next name, "Susan Bones." A small, redhead went up. Harry looked around and noticed a black greasy haired, pale man, called, Severus Snape, giving him sinister looks. His scar suddenly hurt out of nowhere, he sensed that something was wrong. "Ahh!" Harry exclaimed as he put his hand on his forehead in pain. "Harry? You okay?" I ask, being concerned. Harry answered back, "Nothing... nothing, I'm fine." Before I could reply, the Sorting hat sorted Susan, the girl who's name was called earlier, " Let's see...I know...Hufflepuff!" 

The teacher called the next name, "Ronald Weasley." Me and Harry both looked at Ron, who just gulped and went up to The Sorting Hat. He sat down, and the hat was put on. "Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you... Gryffindor!!" The Sorting Hat said, the students at the Gryffindor table cheered as Ron sighs in relief. The professor called out the next name, which very much surprised me and Harry both, "Harry Potter." 

Everything went silent. I just looked at Harry as he just looked at me in worry. I hit my head towards the Sorting Hat, telling him to go up to the hat. Harry walked up and sat down on the stool. The Sorting Hat was placed on his head and it said, "Hmm...difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes, and a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" The Sorting Hat wondered, Harry whispered to himself and the hat, "Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin." The Hat heard this and said, " Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness! There's no doubt about that. No?", "Not Slytherin...anything but Slytherin." Harry whispered to the hat, "Well, if you're sure... better be... GRYFFINDOR!!" The Hat exclaimed. There is an immense cheering as Harry went to the Gryffindor table, "We got Potter! We got Potter!" one of the twins we met earlier said, was it Fred? Or was it George? THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME! The next name was then called, "Thomas Jacobs."

The whole hall went silent, with a few whispers here and there. I took a deep breath and walked up to the hat and sat down. The Sorting Hat was placed on my head. It was silent for a few seconds, but then spoke up, "Now this is...interesting. You are quite unique, just like your parents." "Thanks...I guess?" I whisper, "You guess? Well... you are smart and hardworking...like a Hufflepuff. Sneaky and conniving, doesn't like to be bossed around...quite the spirit of a Slytherin." My eyes widen at the thought that I might be in Slytherin, but I stay silent. "Don't try to stay silent. I anyways know what you are thinking... But in the end...you have a brave and loyal soul. I'm sure you better be in... GRYFFINDOR!!" YEEEEEEEES!!!! I exclaim in my head. The students at the Gryffindor all cheered as I walked towards the Gryffindor table, "Yeah!! We got both Potter and Jacobs!!! Slytherin can eat it!!!!" the twin said again. Was it the other twin, orr...? I sat next Harry and Ron. Harry gave me a high five. He looked at Dumbledore, who lifted up his goblet and slightly waved it, as if he was wishing congratulations.