~01

Everyone had a special ability. Supernatural talents that they were born with.

Everyone had a soulmate.

It was either one or the other, if you were to make your mark in this society. But if you had both, you were here to stay.

That wasn't the case for me, L/N Y/N. I didn't have a special ability, and I haven't found my soulmates. Yet.

I glanced at the overflowing mailbox, letters from the government council giving me about two more months to stay, until I had to pack my bags. But it was only until my soulmates appeared...which they weren't.

It was a cloudy Monday morning, and I was lacing my shoes. Taking one last look at the mirror, I motivated herself to step out the comforts of my apartment and go to work.

But I didn't like it.

I was just about to turn back and sleep in again, when the doorbell sounded.

Too late to turn back now. My ride's here.

Jeongyeon, my best friend, was outside in in her convertible together with our other friends, Nayeon and Jihyo. "Y/N, girl, we have to go to work!" They called out.

I mentally cursed and opened the door.

As soon as I did, however, flowers encircled my hair. No, scratch that, they were everywhere. On my clothes, feet, hands, arms, and legs.

Nayeon, who had the ability to grow flowers wherever and whenever, giggled. "Come on! It's your first day of work! You can't go looking like a slug."

I sighed and ripped off the bouquet on top of my head. "Thanks, you guys, but who's even excited to go to work?"

Jihyo, who was touching up her makeup in her compact mirror, pouted at me. "Well, I'm excited. I'm gonna be coaching kids how to use their vocals."

Jeongyeon raised her hand. "I'm gonna be at a cooking show."

I looked at Nayeon, hoping that she dreaded going to her job as much as I did. She glanced at me sheepishly. "I enjoy going to the flower shop..."

"Wow, so no one here doesn't like waking up so early in the morning?" I grumbled as I scooched in beside her.

Jihyo put the last of her makeup inside her bag as we sped off. "Oh come on. You'll learn to love it once you get the hang of it."

That's because you're all good at your jobs, I thought, but didn't say out loud.

As I looked out the window, I thought about these three amazing girls in the car with me.

Jeongyeon's special ability was cooking. Give her any ingredient and she could whip up a meal in no time. But it wasn't just an ability, it was also her passion. Recently, she had been hosted by a cooking show, and it's been really popular these days.

Jihyo was an excellent coach. In music, that is. She had good vocals, and her special ability was that she could play any instrument. Still, it was better than not having any ability.

And then there was Nayeon. She had the special ability to grow flowers, each ranging from whatever she was feeling. She started her own flower shop named "Fragrance". Back when I was jobless, I helped her arrange blossoms here and there.

Thinking back on it, I always wondered why they included me in their friend group, in high school. I wasn't smart, I wasn't pretty, but they always sat beside me at lunch and recess, keeping me company.

I knew Nayeon way back, since her family took care of me.

They got their abilities really early, when they were kids. And, when they couldn't get any luckier, they found out that they were soulmates.

I smiled at the memory.

After 40 minutes, we finally reached my workplace.

"Big Hit Appliances..." Jihyo read, gazing at the tall, glass building in front of us. "Y/N, you didn't tell us you were working for the Number 1 company in Korea!"

"Well, it's also for the Odds*. There are so many people in this world who are just like me who needs a job." I replied, stepping out of the convertible. "Well, thanks for the ride, anyway. See you!"

(*Odds are called the people who doesn't have special abilities*)

I watched as the three girls waved and blew kisses at me. Then they sped off to their intended destination.

I squinted at the blinding building in front of me. As I expected, there was no one in sight.

Like Jihyo said, Big Hit Appliances was the Number 1 company of Korea. It was made popular because it recruited Odds, making it one of the most independent industries. But I think the real reason was because of the seven heirs: Kim Namjoon, Kim Seokjin, Min Yoongi, Jung Hoseok, Park Jimin, Kim Taehyung, and Jeon Jungkook. 

Rumor had it that they were handsome and powerful than most, though no one has ever seen them in person. That was a bit suspicious.

And yet, here I am, working as an employee under their department.

Pushing open the big glass doors, I saw that there were lots of people-no, Odds-inside. They were all running here and there, getting their jobs done.

One man almost ran into me. He apologized, then went on his way.

I scratched my head nervously. If this is what I'm gonna be doing, then maybe I shouldn't have agreed so easily.

A woman in her mid-thirties looked straight in my direction. Then she started walking towards me.

"Hi, um, do you know where I can-" I started. But she cut me off.

"You're the new recruit, right? Here's your first job. Please deliver this to Mr. Jeon," she dropped a huge, heavy box right in my arms. Without another word, she walked off.

"Wait-!" I started, struggling to hold the box upright.

I grunted. The "Mr. Jeon" she mentioned must've been Jeon Jungkook. Goodness, what in tarnation did he order that was so heavy? A washing machine?

Putting the box down, I scanned the building for signs pointing to Mr. Jeon's office.

But my stomach dropped when I found out his office was on the 30th floor.

Did I make the right choice in working here?