T H I R T Y F O U R

Start from the beginning

I smiled with cheeks red and shook my head

X

After buying some groceries, directly went to his place. I already knew the code so letting myself wasn't a struggle at all.

I made chicken with rice. And I made sure to put a bottle of white wine, that I found on the wine shelf, in the freezer.

I had just turned off the stove for the rice when I heard the sound of the code being punched in. Instantly I knew who it was. He walked in with his jacket on his arm and his laptop bag on his shoulder. Exhausted.
As soon as he found me in the kitchen, he smiled "I could get used to this." I said, "I hope you like chicken and rice." He nods "At this point, I'll even eat you up." It made me chuckle.

He keeps his bag and jacket on the couch and makes his way to me directly and kisses my cheek before resting against the edge of the island, standing with his foot over the other, arms crossed

He keeps his bag and jacket on the couch and makes his way to me directly and kisses my cheek before resting against the edge of the island, standing with his foot over the other, arms crossed. I noticed "No suit today?" He looks down at his cozy green sweater that was tucked in neatly inside his black slacks. The sleeves were pushed up his arm which made me smile. He sighs "I wasn't in the mood for a suit today. Just wanted to put on something cozy." I nod and he continued "How's Nicklaus?" And at that, I'm reminded of the kiss on my chin. I instantly turned around and stirred the spoon in the chicken curry "Uh... he's okay. He's doing good. After you were gone, your mom came and told me to go home and rest."

"Are you okay?"

"Me? Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"Because what you went through, Alana. It must be traumatizing."

"I mean... sure... who wouldn't be crying? I'm fine, Harvey. I am."

"I can't thank you enough for being there, Lana. Even though Nicklaus and I... we'll have our fights but he's still my brother whether he accepts it or not."

Curiosity got the best of me "Why do you guys hate each other so much?" He takes a deep breath "Nick always thinks that everything is my fault. That mom married my dad. He thinks that mom married him because she felt sorry for me that I didn't have a mother. And he thinks that the reason she married is that my dad offered my mom shelter and food- he thinks dad forced mom to marry him. Which is anything but true. They fell in love. They both got to have their second chances. They both got to have the life they deserved. Away from Nicklaus' father."