T W E N T Y - T W O

Mom: Looks like Mikey's game is going late! Can you pick up Katie from practice? Thank you! Love you!

I sighed as I stared at my phone before lifting my eyes to the field in front of me.

Between the dim lights in the parking lot and the dark night sky above, it was hard to see much of the field from my spot in the parking lot, but after the too many run-ins I had with Daniel today, I wasn't taking anymore chances. 

Once upon a time I thought there was no such thing as seeing him too much. 

Now I didn't think I could take seeing him one more time. 

The sharp tweet of the whistle snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked toward the field to see the players running to the sidelines, where Jackson stood offering them high-fives. 

Perhaps it was cowardly to stay in here. Maybe even selfish. Definitely not the most supportive choice for my sister. 

But right now, this was the last place I wanted to be. And if being tucked away safely in my car made it just a tiny bit better, then I was going to stay in here and--

Tap. Tap. Tap.

I jumped before looking up. 

My stomach dropped. This had to be a cruel joke.

I faced forward. This entire day seemed like one giant cruel joke. I would ask if it could get any worse, but that might be taken as a challenge . . .

I rolled down my window, the cool air biting my skin. I gave Tom a flat look. "Why?"

"Alex here wants to thank you for the dance lessons." Tom moved aside and the tattooed player stepped next to him.

"Oh!" I sat up in my seat upon noticing him. Even the lights in the parking lot seemed to shine a little brighter.

Alex let out a laugh, smacking Tom's chest. "Just saying hi." He tugged on his beanie and lifted his bright gaze to me.

A smile grew on my face. "Hi back."

"You're here for practice?" Alex nodded to the field with an eager smile.

Tom slapped the back of his head.

"Hey!"

"It's middle school practice, genius."

"Oh, so it's your practice," I told Tom as I stepped out of the car.

Alex laughed even louder, his eyes lighting up as they connected with mine.

Tom rolled his eyes, pulling his cap lower on his head. "Do you want, like, a hoodie or something? The team is making us do more promotion and all that." He nodded to his and Alex's matching team jerseys. "So, we're stuck out here . . . freezing."

"Willy's a baby with cold weather," Alex said, giving me a toothy grin.

I let out a laugh. "Are you sure you play hockey?" I tilted my head at Tom.