S E V E N T E E N

Once the groceries had been placed in the kitchen, I headed back to the living room, bumping into Jade in the hallway and we both returned together.  

"Found all the info." She handed Elliot a sheet of paper. "And I found my phone and the bajillion missed calls on it!" She held up her phone. "It was in the laundry."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "By the laundry?"

"No. In." She let out a nervous laugh before wincing. "It still works though. Anyway, here you are, Elliot. The phone number and everything else you should need are on there." She handed him the paper.

"Fantastic." He placed it in his folder and tucked it under his arm. "Thank you very much for your time." He headed toward the door.

"Oh, watch your step," Jade warned him, kicking aside the hockey stick in the walkway.

Elliot chuckled as he glanced around at the other hockey equipment and soccer balls scattered about the living room. "I can tell Brandon is a very active man. Seems like he could almost have his own physical therapy here with plenty of fun."

"Never a dull moment." Jade smiled.

"Brandon," Elliot called.

Brandon's head perked up, his green eyes bright.

"I hope you have a full recovery soon."

Brandon gave him a single nod with a sincere expression. "Yep."

"And sorry for bothering you at your office," Elliot told Jackson.

"No worries." Jackson nodded at him and after saying goodbye, Elliot left.

Once the door closed behind him, Jade slumped against it and let out a loud sigh. "I can't believe this! Can you believe this?!" Her eyes blazing as she looked at us.

Jackson, Brandon, and I simply looked at her in silence.

"That disgusting, wormy weasel . . ."

Jackson and I exchanged looks.

"Social Services?? Social Services??" she repeated, raising her voice.

"Jade--" Jackson began.

"That slimy sloth went as far as reporting me?! To the Social Services?!" she exclaimed, her face growing animated with anger. "How dare he?!"

"Jade--"

"I get that he's upset that he couldn't see Brandon as much but--Social Services?!" she exclaimed with a scoff. "How could that slimy, disgusting sloth go as far--"

"Jade, I know you're mad--"

"I'm not mad, Jackson, I am fuming." She glared at him.

"But the baby--"