Chapter 44

Daiyu's morning is going surprisingly well despite having the most hectic, confusing week she's ever experienced (a funeral and a half-sister she never knew about can certainly be described like that).

First off, she woke up to Joseph snuggling in between both May and her (he usually sleeps by their feet), she found out her last Tik Tok exploded overnight, her grandparents from Taiwan sent her a lovely postcard bringing a long-lasting smile on her face in return, and she's currently watching reruns of her favorite childhood show with leftovers from May's cooking from last night's dinner.

Overall, it's a nice morning. To top it off, Tommy calls her.

"How've you been?" He asks through her phone's speakers.

"Honestly, I've had a great morning," she replies as she relays everything that's happened so far. Tommy listens attentively and she couldn't ask for more.

"I saw your Tik Tok did well, congrats."

She smirks, feeling proud of herself, "That's because it was my best one yet."

She hears him scoff, "Oh please. I haven't seen a single Tik Tok where you don't say one negative thing about me. Your last video was no exception."

"It's just too easy to make fun of you," she whined, making Tommy groan in rebuttal. Undoubtedly, she's always had a way of offending Tommy whether he likes it or not.

Hearing rustling from his side, she assumes he's multi-tasking right now which is rude to say the least. If you're going to call Daiyu, then either put your 100% into it or don't even bother. She says this to Tommy and he makes an effort to ignore her for a minute straight until she breaks and apologizes.

After talking a bit about Tommy's upcoming videos, he changes the subject.

"So you said something about having grandparents from Taiwan." He says, continuing, "Remind me, you were born in Malaysia but your ethnicity is Taiwanese... or Chinese?"

"Yes, technically," she nods, happy with his understanding of this subject. "I use my mother's surname, Lin, which is Chinese. I'm mixed though, so I'm not 100% anything."

"That's really cool," he hesitates, then, "I'm just... British."

Daiyu makes a sound akin to disappointment, "That you are, and it's perhaps your biggest flaw yet."

Tommy grunts, "I know, thanks for reminding me." Then wonder fills his voice, "But you're, like, so good at English. Is it your second language?"

"No, my third."

"Third!?" Tommy shouts.

She laughs, amused at his bewilderment.

"Malay, Chinese, English." She quickly adds, "and I'm learning French because that's a sexy language."

"What the hell, you're like proper smart."

"Coming from a brit, that doesn't mean much to me, but thank you." He makes an offended sound but quickly laughs right after. "But I've shown you time and time again of my brilliance, I'm surprised you haven't caught on 'til now."

"Does your brilliance also happen to include forming imaginary relationships with British men whom you apparently despise and had a child with?"

Daiyu forces a laugh, "Well would you look at the time. Looks like I've got to go! Gonna film some more Tik Toks."

"Seems to me you're just dodging my question—which actually just proves my point," Tommy states in triumph.

She lies, "My fans are waiting for me."