13 - Bonus Minisode; Edge Of Disaster

For the 40th Anniversary of the original dub of the series, Century 22 has created a bonus new minisode for the show entitled Edge Of Disaster. This meets the idea, from Doctor Who: Awakening Of The Daleks, for Century 22 to include a special extra feature to go alongside each work. For 2086, this special could be considered in some ways to be representative of the 40th Anniversary episode. The finished episode would run for approximately three minutes or so.

No episode titles are included, apart from the title of the episode being revealed as per normal as "Edge Of Disaster". We view from a far range shot a long bridge running busy traffic over a river, interlinking two parts of a major city. Cars, transporters, buses, taxis, etc hurry across from one side of the bridge to the other during a usual, routine morning rush hour. The various style of futuristic cars can be left up to the animators and could reuse styles of design drawn from either the series or another anime show. We see one particular white vehicle headed from the right to left-hand side of the bridge. The man is nervous, sloppy, and in a hasty rush to arrive at his job. His opaque shirt is creased, untucked into his trousers, nor has he bothered to do up his top button or ensure his yellow tie is appropriately worn. The worker, who we will call Klerk, attempts to shave himself in the mirrors of his machine whilst also dangerously driving. His vehicle may swerve a little in the process. Klerk's armpits were already dripping with unpleasant sweat, judging by wet patches underneath his shoulders. More sweat runs down his forehead.

Klerk:

Oh dear. I'm going to be late if there is anymore traffic. I can't afford to be delayed again. My boss will fire me for sure if I am not at my desk in fifteen minutes this time.

He begins driving along the bridge. The clouds begin to darken over. Rain then suddenly begins bellowing down onto the city and the mighty long bridge.

Curses! Rain is the last thing I need to affect my journey. I'm sure the forecasters did not report this for today.

A storm inexplicably brews. Lightning bolts strike. The river becomes uncontrollable. Waves begin to rise and thrash against the foundations of the bridge. CRASH! SPLASH! They bash against the bridge, exploding water upwards and thrashing it back into the sea. An extraordinarily powerful gust affects the structure of the bridge, combined with the anger of the waves. SPLASH! BOOM! SMASH! We begin to hear the groaning of the infrastructure of the bridge. It dramatically worsens until suddenly the strength of one of the legs collapse! CRASH!

The balance of the sector with Klerk on becomes highly unstable. It shakes the traffic as the foundations of the bridge worsen all the time. Several vehicles are sent hurtling out of control, almost crashing into each other, and skidding rapidly. Klerk, who isn't focusing on his driving, allows his vehicle to drive straight into the left bar, crashing into it. CRASH! POW! The bar breaks, as some of the rubble topples into the river. We see it from a high view the metal shrinking its size as it plummets to the river. The vehicle now hangs on the edge of the carriageway, balancing with an edge away from disaster. The wind is blowing the car, even if it still hangs by a thread on the road still.

Help! Help, somebody! I'm trapped! Help!

The traffic clears the bridge quickly, leaving the man at the mercy of the deep drop before him. The rest of the foundations of the bridge worsen. We see the deep drop below from the window of the driver's seat. It feels as though we are about to topple down into the river! Klerk cries out.

AARRGGGHHH!!!

Suddenly, Thunderbird 1 swoops in from the skies! Dylan is at the controls of the ship and quickly launches a grapple from underneath the craft to magnetise and catch the falling vehicle in time. The man catches his breath from shock and sees the magnificent Thunderbird craft overhead. Dylan stabilises his ship.

Dylan:

This is Thunderbird 1. I am at the danger zone. Going into hover mode.

The car is then pulled up onto the bridge. Klerk's excitement cannot be contained.

Klerk:

Wow! The Thunderbirds!

Thunderbird 4 accelerates along the water towards the bridge. We hear Kallan's voice inside.

Kallan:

Thunderbird 4 to Thunderbird 1, I am at rescue area. I am now deploying the new foam bombs from the river.

Dylan:

Roger, Thunderbird 4.

Thunderbird 4 launches small circular metal balls from a tube onto the areas of the weakened bridge. A foam explodes and the liquid substance quickly forms a solid, helping stabilise the bridge. We hear the metal crunching up as the bridge now completely recovers from the torturous thundering of the waves and the storm, which now seems to be dying down. There is a long sequence of the bridge's structure strengthening back on each leg. This then cuts to see the interiors of Thunderbirds 1 and 4; Dylan and Kallan.

Good job, Kallan.

Kallan:

Thanks. The storm has significantly reduced its intensity. What about the state of the bridge and the traffic? Do we assist with the emergency services in the city?

Dylan:

I'm afraid we have more important things to tackle first. This won't be the only area Starcrusher will strike. To the alien entity, this is only a test run. A chance to warm things up.

Kallan:

But Starcrusher has hold of the entire weather control system of the world. We dare not know where it will strike.

Dylan:

I know, Thunderbird 4. But we have to be ready nevertheless. And hope that the Federation agents and technicians are able to hack into the computers of the weather control satellites across the Earth and in space and get the climate back under control. Maybe we might be able to understand a little more about Starcrusher if it has embedded itself into the interphases' of the databanks.

We hear Commander Simpson's voice on the radio.

Simpson:

International Rescue to Thunderbird 1, we have a real emergency on our hands now, Dylan. Earth tremors are predicted in Florida and New York at any moment now. All Thunderbirds must convene to the area immediately. It is predicted that with our climate at Starcrusher's mercy, anything can happen!

Dylan:

Copy that, Commander. We're on our way. Maximum speed, Kallan.

Kallan:

Roger, Dylan! See you there!

Thunderbird 4 turns itself around in the water and cruises along the river. Thunderbird 1 neatly places the car back onto the bridge, to the relief of an overjoyed Klerk. The magnet is released and returned to the ship, which then blasts its engines to rocket off into the distance. As the rain finally stops, Klerk gets out of the car and waves at the Thunderbird.

Klerk:

Thank you, Thunderbirds!

We then see the damage done to the carriageway with debris and smashed metal across both sides of the highway. Various emergency services vehicles are rushing to Klerk's aid. However, some of the solidified substances begin groaning again. The foam bombs clearly weren't enough against the power of nature in the hands of the villainous Starcrusher; the legs of the bridge were about to cripple and snap...

A shortened version of the end credits will follow.

(End credits)