7 - Critical Analysis Per Episode

These are the twenty-four episodes of the entire series. I have tracked down the best sources of the episodes to watch on Youtube to watch here, and the quality may vary between episodes. The picture quality of the first 20 episodes has been taken from the DVD, mixed with the sound of the 2086 episodes from video sources. Newly added sections for the 2086 dub have been reinserted with the VHS quality for the opening and closing titles, added screen monitors, and the re-edited Kudzilla scene. The episode's trailers for the original Japanese versions are included at the end of the first 17 episodes, all shown in Japan in 1982. Sound sources from the ITC video releases or from a VHS recording as the episode went out on broadcast. The final episode contains an article from the series in Fantasy Empire magazine with the cover of Tom Baker as Doctor Who from The Masque Of Mandragora! Below each of the episodes will be a review of the story.

Beginning with the first episode, Fireball (or Firefall) I think it makes a good introduction to the series, even if Shockwave was the first episode to be completed. It's the way through which the characters are brought in that serves as a good introduction. We are also introduced to the science fiction element well and the Thunderbird vehicles. To be honest, as there is little continuity in the series, almost any episode could have been the first episode. Those watching who grew up watching the classic or new Thunderbirds must have been quite surprised by the difference from 2086 to those two iterations of Thunderbirds.

The story takes place before and during September 20th, 2086. In the original dub, Bill's wife Danielle, is his sister instead. This explains why Kallan gives her a jealous look when she runs into Dylan's arms. When Dylan and Kallan defy Simpson's orders and leave to rescue Bill, they are halted by Jesse, who points a stun gun at them. In the original dub, the gun's effects were far more permanent than simply knocking them out. Warren mentions that he spent his entire life dedicated to founding and developing IRO. In the 2086 Annual however, a letter from the World Federation dated January 2086 asked him to join the newly-founded organisation.

A pretty solid episode. The kid was annoying, unfortunately. The theme of the Computer Madness of computer malfunctions is a scary thought, especially how even in the present day we rely so much on them today.

The dangers of forest fires and their destructive consequences are another key theme that is relevant still today. The deer was quite cute, maybe because I like animals. One Of A Kind does slightly remind me of Bambi in a way.

Snowbound was the first episode to feature the IRO datacube. The little girl in a yellow dress was annoying, again. An avalanche of snow always makes for a thrilling rescue from the Thunderbirds, and with a group of trapped people inside the snow with time running out.