chapter two , a night at the motel

third person pov

the apathetic, young girl watched as the dirty-blonde rested both arms on the front desk. 

"ciao, 2 singles. grazie."

they ended up here after the ambulance took away james, leaving just the two of them alone in that ginormous and now eerie house. clay left to go back to his place after alda insisting she'd be okay. then 20 minutes later, upon receiving a phone call with shallow breaths and sole crushing cries, he came straight away- taking her as far away as he could for the night per her request.

the pair of them were stood in the reception of your typical run-down motel: engraved with cracks running down the tan walls, a sticky temperature, the air filled with a stench which only can be described as sour. yet the atmosphere was found to be oddly comforting.

the frail woman stood on the opposing side of the desk handed clay the room key before showing them to the room- but not before giving the pair a long stare upon seeing the extreme formal wear worn, with clay adorning a bright splodge of crimson on his shirt. she beams a smile with concern to alda before closing the door behind them.

clay takes a breath in, "this isn't too bad-" but stops right as he walks further into the room.

"what?" the girl mumbles unsure. and that's when she saw the same sight, "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

a singular double bed sat ominously in the centre of the room. "you did this on purpose, didn't you?"

"i have no clue what you're on about." he insists, falling back first onto the mattress.

"you're telling me this isn't exactly what you do with every single last one of the women you fuck. tell me, how convenient is this for you? accidently finding out there's only one bed. how gaudily cliché of you, clay."

he sits upright on the edge of the bed with this look of- what seems to be- disgust on his face. he knew this wasn't her. even after a year of not seeing her.

"don't even say that."

"but i'm not wrong am i?" alda kept pushing this for no reason whatsoever.

there was an eerie silence in the room before clay let out a low chuckle "is that really all you think of me?" his tone rose slightly catching the girl's breath on the other side of the room in her throat.

just then she felt like she ruined everything. he didn't have to bring her here: listen to her, pretend to give an ounce of care to her. she was stupid for thinking he was actually being genuine. idiotic.

but he just sat there and watch as her face dropped as she looked down to the wooden floor. the feeling of guilt arose in his lower abdomen; that sickening feeling.

alda chokes out a 'whatever' before going into the bathroom and locking the door behind her.

her voice had turned, what could only be descried as, dull. her wittiness, the shimmer of bight light when she talked, they were both gone. she had lost her spark. one of the many things that put her aside of every other boring person was gone.

now all that was left was a grey obis- an empty hole.

he wanted her to be happy; so badly. everything and more her father would've wanted for her at least.

-

skip to 10 minutes later. clay laid on the right side of the bed, nearest the window, with one arm resting from beneath his dirty blonde waves and the other scrolling through his phone after changing into a white t-shirt and grey sweatpants he brought with him to sleep in. he was trying to find a way to distract himself from the agonizing flickering of the lamp from the corner of the room; ending up looking out of the window to the midnight sky, dancing with shimmering stars.

the sound of the bathroom lock quietly unlocking followed by a creaky opening and closing made him snap out of his trance. a sniffle made his eyes dart up and analyze her. an oversized band shirt hung off of her petite figure over a pair of black shorts. with her long platinum hair in a messy bun that sat so effortlessly. her face was red with puffiness- telling him all he needed to know.

yet she still managed to look as beautiful as ever

he felt awful. knowing he couldn't do anything about it made that feeling a whole lot worse.

he folded back the duvet for her to get under. she smiled weakly before slipping under the covers. not a word was exchanged from the pair of them.

laying with her back facing him, he didn't know what to do- which he'll admit was a first. he knew what every woman wanted: like he could read their minds. but when it came to alda, his mind turns blank with envy. why?

before his brain got the chance to spiral even further, she turns over to face him.

"i'm really sorry," her voice was quiet and sounded fragile as if a lone pin could break it. "for what i said earlier, i promise i didn't mean it.. and i'm sorry for dragging you all the way out here."

then her voice lowers into a whisper, "it means a lot for you to stay with me. so thank you."

the smile he showed next was one of happiness growing. you could see how it came from deep inside to light his eyes and spread into every part of him. even after everything, she always apologized. no matter what. even if an apology wasn't necessarily needed.

"come here." he beams opening his arms. she giggles and shuffles closer into him, wrapping his arm around the back of her and pulling her near. 

"i wouldn't rather be anywhere else, mi amour." he divulged, planting a kiss on her forehead.

-

that next morning, clay woke up- by his surprise- to an empty bed. groaning, he turns over to be met by a napkin scribed with fresh ink sat on top of the pillow beside him.

'buongiorno!

so sorry i'm not there to see your ugly morning face,

hope you don't miss me too much ;)

- a xo'

all he could think about was how cliché this girl was. even more he hoe she was starting to feel more like herself already. he thought about her with a dumbfounded smile plastered on his face for the rest of the day.

-

04.03.2022

edited 13.04.22

edited 09.08.22

1064 words