thirteen; unlucky for some

Thursday quickly came and the colour had slowly began to return into Millys face

She was still weakened by the experience, unable to think of anything other than Thomas shooting her in the head and her peculiar words of warning. It wasn't necessarily out of the ordinary for Thomas, from what she had seen of him, but to her it felt all too real. Nothing but the real thing would've ever been able to come close to what she had gone through but it was just the way the roll of her dice had gone.

Bonnie had been refusing to leave her side, which was sweet, sure- but he had also been neglecting his training in doing so. He had worked far too hard to give up his dream of being a world champion boxer for something as silly as wanting to stay close to his best friend.

Aberama had agreed with Milly, in the sense that Milly wouldn't have been left alone long enough to feel the presence of cold air touch her skin so Bonnie leaving for an hour or two wouldn't have made any difference.

The boy tried to argue but his attempts were futile, finally giving in and going for his morning run only two hours later than usual.

The four girls spent the morning sat in relative silence, after the night before last, it was welcomed with open arms. Usually, their lives went a mile a minute, so this silence was so far off of their usual course that if they hadn't have welcomed it, it would've eaten away at them. Slowly, like bedbugs biting their way through their victims skin.

"How're you feeling?" Esmeralda asked her younger sister, nudging her ever so gently with her shoulder.

Exhaling sharply, Milly thought for a second. She wasn't feeling like she usually did, but it wasn't far off. The looming pressure in her head caused a prolonged headache to still be present and the tightness in her chest still comes and goes as it pleases.

"Better."

Josette looked at her with narrowed eyes, unable to believe the words that had just spilled from her paled lips.

She wasn't better, she was putting on a front to make everyone else feel comfortable. It was what Milly had done for years, people were just too blindsided to see it.

"Anyway!" Nicolette chimed in, taking her seat next to Josette.

A change of subject was well needed, the awkward air was almost suffocating. It was plain to see that these girls had never interacted in such a way before. They were all about getting on with their lives, showing as little emotion as possible. It was easier on some days than others, clearly today had been one of those other days.

"What's it like working with Tommy Shelby?" She added after a lengthy pause, all girls heads turning towards Milly.

Dusting down the bottom of her greying skirt, removing the clammy feeling from her palms, Milly shrugged. The youngest two Gold girls were nosey, but it seemed to be a very helpful skill for them to have.