five; cold glares

Four in the morning and the cockerel crowed

Four in the morning and the cockerel crowed. For once, Milly had a reason to crawl out of bed when the rooster made his presence known, so when Bonnie saw her by the fire after coming back from his ungodly run- he was surprised. Milly wasn't an early riser, nor a morning person. She hated seeing the sun rise and she hated how to air thickness changed from heavy to clammy. Sometimes, if Milly was awake as the sun rose, the air felt suffocating.

Thomas Shelby had given her strict instructions to be in Small Heath by seven, and Milly wasn't entirely sure how long it would take her to travel. She wasn't necessarily a slow walker but she was rather good at getting herself lost.

Cracking sticks overpowered the sound of the crackling firewood, causing her head to shoot up. No one else was around the be the look out, and with no gun in her hand- if it was an intruder, she'd just have to take a leaf out of Bonnie's book.

Luckily for them both, it literally was just Bonnie.

"Something on your mind?"

Bollocks, Milly thought to herself. She hadn't told Bonnie about her trial within the Shelby gin distillery. If it had been anywhere else, it wouldn't have been so bad. But now Milly was about to walk into the belly of the beast and she hadn't told the most important person in her life a single thing.

"Do you remember when we were all at Charlie's Yard?"

If she started off easy, she'd be able to slide the information in without a problem but Bonnie picked up on everything. He noticed the way her voice wasn't as confident as usual, and how she was far too well dressed for your average trip down to the library. Her hair was a little too perfect for a walk to the bakery and back.

He already had an idea, but he needed to hear it from the source directly.

"Yeah, what about it?"

Based off of his response, Milly already knew that Bonnie knew.

"I asked Thomas Shelby for a work trial, and he gave me one. I start today, with some bloke called Finn."

Bonnie let out a sigh of relief. He knew Finn, and he was fine with him working along side her- but he wasn't entirely comfortable with the idea of it being within a Shelby company. Everyone knew they were all just fronts for illegal activities, but Milly was old enough to make these decisions for herself.

"I wish you would've spoken to me about it before you did it, but..." Bonnie paused, shaking his head softly whilst he walked closer to the fire. Both hands stretched out to catch the radiating heat. "I suppose I'll just have to walk you there and back. Every single day, and you can tell me all about it."

A loving smile quickly spread across both twins faces. As children, they would be seen walking to and from whatever schooling organisation Aberama could force them into. Not many schools were willing to accept any Romani children, especially those from known families like the Golds. The schools were segregated from the roaming communities and often looked down upon those who were culturally different to them. Bonnie would always do his duty as the older brother and protect them all, but Josette and Nicolette didn't need it as much as gentle souled Milly did.