ten; golden child no more

Esmeralda had, since the very moment they stepped into Small Heath, been sneaking off to a distant land full of mischief and mayhem

Esmeralda had, since the very moment they stepped into Small Heath, been sneaking off to a distant land full of mischief and mayhem. Whilst a lovely story for her sisters to hear, she had actually been sneaking off to the Cut, to meet a man who she knew very little about. He was a gentleman, but when needed all of that blew away with the wind.

Well— that wasn't all she had been doing whilst on her late night escapades.

Esmeralda had actually been on three little adventures whilst away from the camp.

Firstly, she was collecting information that the girls could use to their advantage about places they could hide within plain sight. Places that had women of bored faces and plain clothes- like Communists Corner and the dockyards, or just south of Comptons Chemists. But she had spent extra time looking for somewhere that Milly could blend into, and after eight long weeks she had still come out empty handed. That girl, oh boy, that girl stuck out like a sore thumb amongst thimbled fingers.

The second adventure was a little more... selfish.

Every Sunday, at exactly nine PM, the bakery that sold the sweetest bread pudding the world had ever seen, offered it out for a lesser price and the girl loved nothing more than treating herself with her hard earned money. Sometimes, though, she would return with extra, but that just depended on how the other girls were to her in the week leading up to it.

But- also, the third and final thing wasn't for anyone else but herself. She didn't bring it home on the odd occasion, and she definitely didn't tell anyone about it. Her little love affair with a man she had first met during the meal after John Shelbys beacon had gone almost completely unnoticed.

And it would've gone completely unnoticed if Isaiah Jesus hadn't have left little markings across her back.

"Esmeralda- what in the ever loving fuck happened to your back?! Looks like an alleycat got at you!" Nicolette called out, walking over to her sister, who'd mistakenly took off her top without checking to see if anyone was around.

Nicolette had only seen the marks by chance, a perfectly poor timed walk past her opened tent, where the moon hit her alabaster skin and almost illuminated the markings.

Esmeralda silently thanked whatever godly being was behind that, she had been in her shared tent with Milly- who had her face pushed so far into the pillow it almost looked like she was trying to smother herself half to death. Had Aberama been there, or even in the camp, it would've been a whole new story. A story with guns blazing, deafening those who walked by.

"Will you keep it down?! Jesus Christ!" The eldest Golds voice cut through the murmurs between the youngest two.

Her eyes glanced between the them, narrowing in on Josette first. Had Milly been alert and not a zombified version of herself- she would've been the one receiving the dagger eyes instead. Actually, she would've received far worse, but luckily for everyone around, she wasn't exactly lucid.