"He's a calming presence to her."

  Io shook her head. "Sometimes, I truly cannot understand Danna."

  "She's Daneira Pang," Rhys giggled. "She does her own thing, works her own way, and there's nothing the rest of us could do about it. But that's nont the point. We all think this would be a bet worth making, Io, and you know how rare it is for us all to agree on one thing so easily."

  "You guys don't know him like I do."

  "I've talked to him a few times now. I like what I see. Who hasn't fucked up in their youth? We all have, Io, even you and me—me more times than I could count, do you remember my horrific track record?"

  "On missions or lovers?"

  Somehow, with a straight face, Rhys replied, "Both. Oh, to be a wild, unruly, irresponsible teenager. But we're both past that now. So is he."

  "Age doesn't change everything."

  "How would you know if you never give it a chance?"

  "That's a very complicated argument to persuade me with and I'm not sure I can see where you're trying to go with this."

  "I'm too smart for you," Rhys grinned, giving Io a pat on the shoulder. "Wo de nao li xiang she me, ni shi bu hui ming bai de." You will not understand the things I have in my brain.

  Io stuck her tongue out in response. Rhys chuckled and sat down beside her. "But why not give it another go, Io?" You're not getting any younger, and the war's over. Things are nowhere as treacherous as they were long ago. And it's not as if you haven't taken lovers in the past."

  "If I give Louis another chance... it won't simply be a matter of a lover, Rhys."

  "You care for him."

  "Of course."

  "You love him."

  "You know that."

  "And he loves you."

  "Maybe."

  Rhys snorted. "Maybe? If it was maybe he wouldn't be so desperately chasing after you, Io. He loves you. There. He fucking loves you and it hurts my very soul to see you two like this. You both deserve happiness and companionship, Io." She reached between the space and took Io's hands. "You're one of the best people I know."

  "You've been hanging around the wrong people."

  Rhys shook her head. "I've known many great men and women. You're one of the greatest, Io. You're brave, you're kind, you're sweet and you're understanding. You're incredibly loyal and you protect your friends with your life. You deserve more. You deserve better."

  "Do I?"

  "You know the one thing I hate about you?"

  "What?" Io asked.

   Rhys inched closer, placing her forehead against Io's. "The fact that you refuse to believe in yourself. And I know what it feels like, to think you're a monster, to think you're undeserving. I've gone through it too. I pushed away my feelings for Dominic for years over it. But now I look back and laugh about it. And one day you will too, Io, mark my words, one day you will too."

  "I really hope so."

  "When have I ever been wrong?"

-♡-

  "I'M SURPRISED YOU actually came."

  "I don't break promises."

  "Thought you'd realise you'd lose and not come in the end," Louis shrugged. "I'm surprised, truly, though I'll still win."