John then somehow turns and sees a woman. "Joanna?" he asks.

"Yes," smiles Joanna, "it's me." Then she draws closer to John. "Do you know where the Messiah is? You proclaimed him. Do you at least know who he is?"

"I do," says John the son of Zechariah. "He is Jesus of Galilee."

"Oh, he. I heard he's going around Judea," says Joanna. "Is he nearby or not?"

John says to his curious listener, "He'll show up at some point. Maybe he's around here."

+

Meanwhile, a large crowd of people is gathering around Jesus. He happens to be two miles or so away—as far off as Jerusalem is from Bethany of Judea. Jesus here speaks of God's justice and mercy, urging people to repent of all their sins and turn to God in faith.

And the disciples of Jesus also baptize people. And people really are feeling that change in their lives. Not a few believe him to be the long-awaited Messiah.

Joanna and some of the Baptizer's disciples join the crowd around Jesus. They are curious to see what is going on here.

Quite obviously, there are more people here with Jesus. Most of these were baptized into John's baptism, and now they are here—listening to Jesus' words. The disciples of John feel quite jealous that Jesus is getting more attention than their rabbi.

But Joanna understands that this is how it should be. She walks closer until she is among those in the front. She looks at Jesus and observes how he teaches. Clearly, he is more than a mere Galilee, she thought. This HAS to be the Messiah John preached of.

Jesus has finished teaching, so the people depart, speaking of their hope of Jesus.

But Joanna wouldn't leave. She walks up to Jesus. "Jesus," says she.

Jesus gave his attention as Joanna continues, "John the Baptizer said you're the Messiah, and I see you in that light. I want to be right with God."

Smiles Jesus. "God will accept you when you turn to him in repentance," he says. "What's your name, my daughter?"

"I am Joanna. I'm married to the steward of the tetrarch of Galilee and Perea," says Joanna. "I was baptized by John the Baptizer, since I accepted his message. You also preach about repentance and the kingdom of God."

"I tell the truth to people," says Jesus. "And it is from God's word. Joanna, God wants sincere believers and worshipers. So, I'm bringing them to God."

"John publicly reproved Antipas for entering into marriage with a woman already married. What if John is in danger?"

"Indeed, John speaks the truth. Sin is sin, and it separates the soul from God. Antipas has committed adultery in the eyes of God and his people. That includes John. But do not worry about John. God's will be done."

"Alright."

+

Joanna would be heading back to Salim to meet with her husband and lords, but she wants to briefly meet with John the Baptizer before she does. So she returns to Aenon.

There she sees some of John's disciples coming up to their rabbi. They are the ones who went with her to see Jesus. Now they say to the Baptizer, "Rabbi, the man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan, and to whom you have yourself borne testimony—he, also, is baptizing, and everybody is going to him."

John sighs. "A person can gain nothing but what is given them from heaven. You are yourselves witnesses that I said 'I am not the Messiah,' but 'I have been sent before him as a messenger.' "

Joanna, from the distance, understands that John was calling the people to come to Jesus. It's only right that John rejoices to see Jesus' success. Truly Jesus is the Messiah!

And John says, "He must become greater, and I less."

Salim, near Aenon

"Joanna, it's already time to rest," says Chuza when Joanna came back. Now they are at the place of lodging. Of course, Herodias demanded a lot of royalty things provided for. And also Salome, for that matter.

"I know," says Joanna. "Take me there already."

So they both get to their lodging room. Joanna says to Chuza, "I believe in this Jesus. Surely he's the Messiah. And the Baptizer doesn't mind losing people to Jesus."

Chuza says, "It's okay. Just be careful not to be too open about it. You know Antipas and Herodias' feelings for John. What do you think they'll do to Jesus?"

"Don't be afraid," says Joanna, encouraging her husband. "God's will be done."

Chuza says, "Alright."