Chapter 23

The fields of Galilee

In the past, a man named Jacob had twelve sons, and God changed his name to Israel—"Prince of God." These twelve sons became the ancestors of the twelve tribes of Israel. The Jews come from these tribes. Jesus comes from the tribe of Judah.

Noting what failures the religious leaders are at accepting him as the Promised One of God, he will set up his own "twelve sons". But before he made the decision he prayed to God, his true Father. Yes, Jesus is in constant communion with God.

Early in the morning, Jesus heads to a mountainside. There he appoints his twelve as "apostles" (this means "those sent"), to be close to him, to see his miracles, to hear his teachings, and so on.

Here he has the twelve: Cephas, Andrew, James son of Zebedee, John, Philip, Nathanael, Thomas, Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Thaddeus, and a certain guy from Kerioth of Judea—a certain Judas.

"I have concern for the people," says Jesus, determining to head down the mountain. Already the people are herding around him. He heals the people of their diseases and keeps on driving out demons with a naive command. Someone can be heard saying, "Jesus is the best Exorcist!"

But Jesus also wants to speak to them the truth about the kingdom. So he and his disciples signal that they come with them. They climb back up the mountain. When at the near top, Jesus could see the throng climbing also. Jesus cues them to sit. He himself sits, his disciples around him, ready to hear him speak. Matthew especially has some rolls of parchment for writing this out.

Jesus proceeds to speak:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

"Blessed are those of hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be filled.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will gain their comfort."

So it is that Jesus is giving blessings to those not esteemed in the sight of the world. Jesus finally says, "Blessed are you when men hate you, exclude you, revile you, persecute you, defame you, bad-mouth you for my sake, the Son of Man's sake. Rejoice! Leap for joy! Be glad! Your reward in heaven will be great, for their ancestors had done the same to the true prophets."

But then Jesus pronounces woes:

"Woe to the rich, for that is their only consolation.

"Woe to those who are full, for they will hunger.

"Woe to those who laugh and mock now, for they will mourn and weep.

"Woe to you when people speak well of you, for their ancestors had done likewise to the false prophets."

Then Jesus compares his disciples as the salt and light of the world. He says that light can't be hidden, so in the same way "let your light so shine before men for them to see your good works and then glorify your Father in heaven."

But to avoid confusion about his ministry, he says, "But don't you go assuming I've come to obliterate the Law or the Prophets. No, I have come to fulfill them. Not one yot—the smallest letter in both Hebrew and Aramaic—or dash will by any means pass from the Law until this sky and earth pass away when everything is fulfilled."

Then Jesus gives some of the Ten Commandments their true meaning, and he speaks against revenge, and instead says, "Love your enemies."

Someone calls out, "What, even the Romans?"

Jesus quickly nods. "Yes, even the Romans."

"Oh great, an all-loving Messiah!" another voice calls out, no doubt a Zealot.

Jesus ignores that. He continues "I tell everyone to love your enemies, to do good to your haters, to bless those who curse you, to pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you. To he who strikes you on your right cheek, offer to him the other also. To he who shoves off you a robe, also let him have your shirt. To he who compels you to carry his gear for one mile, go with him two."

Then he says, "Be perfect. Be merciful. Your Father in heaven is also perfect and merciful."

Jesus then speaks about giving alms, praying to God, and fasting; but he warns against merely acting these good deeds before others—like the Pharisees—because "else, you have no reward from your Father in heaven."

"Where your treasure is, there your heart is also," says Jesus. "No one can serve two masters at the same time. So you cannot serve both God and money."

Next, Jesus speaks about anxiety and worry as something to be avoided. Then he speaks about judging others. "Everything you want men to do to you, do that to them. On this hangs the Law and the Prophets."

Then he says that to get to God's kingdom one should take the difficult path. He warns the people of fake prophets and tells them how to recognize them. "You will know them by the fruits they produce. A good man produces good from his heart. An evil man produces evil from his heart. From the abundance of the heart, a person speaks.

"Not everyone who calls me Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. It's the one who does the will of my Father in heaven."

Jesus speaks of the final judgment and concludes his sermon with a parable—a story or illustration used to make a point—about obeying him: "Everyone, therefore, who hears and obeys me will be compared to a prudent person, who built his house on the rock. The rain poured down, the rivers rose, the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, for its foundations were on the rock.

"Everyone who hears and disobeys me will be compared to a foolish person, who built his house on the sand. The rain poured down, the rivers rose, the winds blew and struck against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

The crowds are stunned, and their faces show it. "He has authority," some whisper. "Yes, very unlike our scribes and Pharisees."

Macherus

"Please, we came to visit John, our master," pleads the disciples of the Baptizer.

They are pleading with the guards at Macherus Fortress. A soldier, unmistakably in charge, calls, "Oh, let them in, men. They mean no harm to us."

So they are led through the stairs finally down to the prison door. A soldier shouts at the door, "The prisoner, John the Baptizer! You... have visitors!"

The disciples then lay against the side of the door, and John against his side of the cold door. "Yes?"

The disciples speak to John of the deeds of Jesus. They finally add, "If Jesus is the Messiah, why didn't he do anything to release you?"

John sighs. "It's been so long. Yes, he applied Isaiah—to release the prisoners—to himself, but he hasn't done anything."

"How can we be certain Jesus is that Messiah?" asks a disciple.

"Where is the baptism of fire?" moans John loudly. "I expected him to judge the tyrants and relieve all the poor. But he's... teaching and healing! No judgment! No—"

Then John delays. "But... what if I'm wrong about his ministry?"

Silence from the disciples. One repeats, "How can we be certain Jesus is the Messiah?"

"Oh, oh," replies John. "Two! Two of you! Find Jesus, wherever he is! Ask him if he's the one to come! Ask! Ask him! Please!"