Chapter 21

Capernaum

Jesus had been teaching and healing throughout all of Galilee. Even the dreaded skin disease of leprosy is under his control. Despite Jesus warning a cleansed leper not to go open about what Jesus did, he made it his proclamation.

Jesus had to be in private abodes to pray, but people kept on coming to him from all directions.

And now the news spread throughout Capernaum, faster than forest fires:

"Jesus of Nazareth—he's back in town!"

The house of Cephas, where Jesus is, gets immediately encircled by loads of people. But the scribes and Pharisees already beat them inside. These highly respected leaders of the faith had come from many cities in Israel, most notably Jerusalem. Even so, the people that arrive first are the lucky ones who get inside the house.

Jesus especially notes how crowded he is, and he teaches them his message of life and truth. His disciples are nearest to him; those religious spies also are close. Jesus, nevertheless, tells the plain truth, despite what anyone says.

While he is teaching the people, a spotlight shines over Jesus' face. For a moment the people are astounded at the sight. Then they notice the ray of light originating upward.

Then a voice calls out, "Hey, the roof is being broken."

"My roof!" exclaims Cephas.

The hole on the roof gets larger over Jesus. Jesus also looks up at the sudden light bathing around him. The roofs in most houses are covered in straw, held up by wooden roof slats... thus they tend to be flat.

But who on earth would be intruding into the house by the roof? There are four men seen on the roof, and when they undo just enough of the roof, they pull over the hole a sort of cot. Then the people can see four ropes tied to its four ends. So these four men lower that stretcher down.

Jesus moves out of the way for the bed to land calmly on the ground.

On the bed is a paralytic, a man who can't walk or move or any of that. Jesus understands that the sick man wants to be healed. Jesus especially notes the faith of his friends, who had to find some way to get to Jesus—even if they have to make themselves an opening on the roof over him.

He says to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer. Your sins have been forgiven."

The man gives a smile. His vile sins—gone! Jesus said so!

That it is Jesus who said so that upset the religious leaders. They turn to each other and recognize that they're thinking the same thing: He's blaspheming, this man! Only God can forgive sins, so Jesus here is subject to the sentence of—

Jesus straightaway turns to these leaders and stops their thinking just where they are. Is he reading their thoughts? His look gives them the impression he has heard them when they haven't spoken a single word.

"But what's this?" says Jesus. "Such evil thinking in your hearts?"

So he can read people and minds!

"Well," continues Jesus, "which is easier to say to this paralytic—to say 'Your sins have been forgiven' or 'Arise, take up your bed and walk'?"

Since they can't actually prove one's sins are actually or not forgiven, it's way easier to say the previous than the latter. They would be scorned if they said the latter since they do not have the power to heal. But Jesus does.

By saying this poor man is pardoned for his sins, Jesus has professed divinity! The scribes and Pharisees label this as blasphemy, but Jesus adds, "That you may know that I, the Son of Man, has the power to forgive sins, even as I'm here in the earth, I'll say—"